Low HR Training

Running, MAF & p90x? (Read 374 times)

Hi Guys,

I used to run MAF until the beginning of last year when many things in my life started to change and I barely ran at all last year.  I deferred on the NYC marathon because of that and I am now looking to get back in shape.  I would like to do some muscle training, so I am thinking of doing p90x.

I basically spend 7 months a year on the road, so it is difficult to get into a routine at times, but I like that I am "spoon fed" w/ p90x.

Anyway, have any of you done this?  

Basically, I am wondering, can I do the lifting workouts and substitute running in the other three days?  Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks.

search the main forum, there are a few threads on running and p90x.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Wasn't sure if any MAFers have taken the plunge...

I know Maffetone doesn't recommend weight lifting for runners, at least early on, and Mittleman recommends high reps.

Wasn't sure if heart training and weight lifting made sense.

P.S.  In the main forum, I am amazed how cynical some folks can be.

BeeRunB

I know Maffetone doesn't recommend weight lifting for runners, at least early on, and Mittleman recommends high reps.

My stock answer is "do regular MAF tests". Do the experiment and see what happens.

The weightlifting might not be a problem at all. Your MAF tests will let you know if

your aerobic system goes south or not. Keep us posted, T. Let us know what happens!

--Jimmy Cool

P.S. I do believe Formationflyer (Jesse) used to weight-lift.

I have the program and want to do it, but I haven't found a good time to start it. I was planning on starting up in Nov, but my running was going so good, I didn't want to throw a wrench into it, so I put it off.

I think the reason Maffetone doesn't recommend weight lifting is because weight lifting is an anaerobic activity and if its done during a base period, it could affect your base training.

I would definitely perform MAF tests if you start it to see if your aerobic system is taking a hit. Make sure you report your results, how its going and how your feel while continuing to run. I found a p90x workout schedule once that I think was geared towards a runner or triathlete. If you'd like I'll try to find it for you.

And YES, a lot of runners in the main forum are very cynical towards LHR training, but you can get some info on what p90x does to your running in general there.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life