Low HR Training

"Anaerobic" Phase HRT (over MAF) Reports & Discussion (Read 6039 times)

Consistently Slow

My 12 mile long run was scheduled for today but I have had some soreness in my right foot/leg after Wednesdays 9 miler and I have decided to take an extra day off for rest and recovery before doing the long-run. So I am off today.

It feels great to be able to have the cool to make this decision - in the past I would have tried to push through it, in other words, I would have ignored the pain/soreness and followed the schedule. I hope this extra day before the long-run is going to be enough. Please, have your fingers crossed for me.

It is good to see the older we get the the wiser we get.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Happy

Yes, Clay - I hear the age thingy!!

I had a great long run today. I am very happy that I decided not to run it yesterday - today, I was ready and I ran approx 13 miles total this morning. Started with 5 1/4 miles on the road in my neighborhood from 6am to7am -then got in the car and drove to the trail. After running 1 mile on the trail I bumped into some of my old running buddies - they were doing their long-run on the trail. I haven't seen them or run with them for ages since I've been injured. Well, I turned around and ran with them for the next 4.5 miles. It was a lot of fun to catch up and hear all the news about everyone in the club - I realize how much I have missed running with these girls. I can't recall when I've last had this much fun while running. Of course, they were running faster than I have gotten used to running - but I tried the best I could to hang with them. They kept talking - even as we ran uphill. They are in such fabulous shape - I loved every minute of it. Toward the end of the loop as we were going uphill I glanced at my Garmin and saw that my HR was 205 - no wonder I wasn't joining in the conversation anymore. I loved it though 

After that, it was time for me to do my last 2 miles in order to get to 13 miles total. 

The plan was to run a progression long run with a moderately hard effort the last 10-15 minutes. I had already been working at a moderately hard effort while running the last mile with the girls (HR205, Yikes). One of them wanted to do the 2 miles cooldown with me while the rest of them were running one more loop on the trail. We ran "easy" while doing 1 mile out, then we turned around and I felt that perhaps I could push the envelope a little on the last mile so I gently eased my body into a little more of an effort on the slight uphill terrain on the way back. My HR reached 220 on the way back. I obviously still don't know what my HRmax is. It's the first time I have had a 220 reading. But the Garming worked well and I have no reason not to believe it.

I miss running with the girls. They run together every Saturday and many of them meet after work on Wednesdays for a 6miler. I used to do this with them back in the time when I trained for my BQ marathon. In so many ways I want to get back to doing it but it is not easy to run your own program while running in a club.

GO CLAY!! 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Consistently Slow

Yes,running in a group in fun but it will kill your traning.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

That sounded great, FLower. I enjoy running with a friend on occasion. Training doesn't feel lonely, but it always feels wonderful to run into a running friend and chat about things. That used to happen on occasion back in Rhode Island on the bike trail. My goal is someday to be the one to have to slow down.

Here in Georgia, I have plans to get together with "a local" at Stone Mountain. I also had lunch with a fellow running club member who lives here in Georgia. We are both members of the RI ROad Runners. It was heaven talking running for a solid two hours. That never happens in my life. Most people are not interested past "ain't it bad for your knees?" and the great conversation stoppers  "I hate running" and "you people are nuts."

--Jimmy

Lucy In th Sky With Diamonds was just playing here in Get Coffee over in Chamblee, near the tracks. Sitting here while my wife gets a haircut next door. I like this Old Chamblee. This place rumbles when the train goes by. I had a Mac vs. PC moment with some women here. She asked me to help her. She said this blue light on her PC that shows she is connected to a WI-FI wasn't working and that the software that shows the WI-FIs in the area had disappeared. Without thinking, I first said "I have a Mac, I'm not sure how that light thing  works", then "sounds like one of those PC things where things just disappear." I felt like the smug, long-haired guy in the Mac commercials. Though, I wasn't being smug.

Happy

That sounded great, FLower. I enjoy running with a friend on occasion. Training doesn't feel lonely, but it always feels wonderful to run into a running friend and chat about things. That used to happen on occasion back in Rhode Island on the bike trail. My goal is someday to be the one to have to slow down.

Here in Georgia, I have plans to get together with "a local" at Stone Mountain. I also had lunch with a fellow running club member who lives here in Georgia. We are both members of the RI ROad Runners. It was heaven talking running for a solid two hours. That never happens in my life. Most people are not interested past "ain't it bad for your knees?" and the great conversation stoppers  "I hate running" and "you people are nuts."

--Jimmy

Lucy In th Sky With Diamonds was just playing here in Get Coffee over in Chamblee, near the tracks. Sitting here while my wife gets a haircut next door. I like this Old Chamblee. This place rumbles when the train goes by. I had a Mac vs. PC moment with some women here. She asked me to help her. She said this blue light on her PC that shows she is connected to a WI-FI wasn't working and that the software that shows the WI-FIs in the area had disappeared. Without thinking, I first said "I have a Mac, I'm not sure how that light thing  works", then "sounds like one of those PC things where things just disappear." I felt like the smug, long-haired guy in the Mac commercials. Though, I wasn't being smug.

Jimmy, you sound great too! 

A Rhode Island Running Club in Chamblee? Rhode Island must be a BIG state - there are two runners in my club that are from Rhode Island - well, one of them has moved but there is still one left.

I agree about Michael Jackson - sounds like his death was caused by a drug overdose - administered perhaps by a doctor; who knows. A lot like the way Elvis Presley went. And many others that have sadly left life that way. It is a shame when such super talented people don't get the help they need to become more mentally stabil. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
            lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Flower, sounds like you had a terrific time!
              I never realized it was possible to have that much fun on a run.
              I need to try that some time.
              It will surely be interesting to see what the Garmin spits out.
              lg
              ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
              Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
              ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)

Happy

QuoteModify

I posted this on the RA Marathon Training Plans forum in the Brad Hudson Training Plan Thread earlier this morning. The LHR training forum is my favorite forum - I know you guys - but I don't always feel my current training is right for this forum. However, I would love for you to know what I am doing and I welcome all your responses as always.

Stay Safe while Running today!!

posted: 6/30/2009 at 9:53 AM

I ran on the treadmill this morning - I've had some issues with feeling bored with my regular routes and routines - I thought I would shake it up and do something I haven't done for a long time.

I can't explain what the reason is but I feel energized now - it's been 1 hr- 1.5 hrs since I stopped running - I feel light and strangely good. I am happy to feel this way. 

I ran a total of 9 miles on the treadmill. Warming up with a little walking in the beginning and then slow running, adding a little "speed" every now and then until I had run 3 miles or so. (I will admit I felt very bored and couldn't imagine that I would make it to 9 miles). I thought I would start my Hudson "anaerobic hill repeats" to break up the monotony - I also, in my mind, gave myself permission to run less than 9 miles total, if after the hill repeats I felt spent. 

This was the first time I have run the Hudson anaerobi hill repeats, so I didn't know how hard I could run them. I don't actually know what my 3K pace is as I have not raced in like foreever. I thought I would rather err on the conservative side than risk injury by hammering too hard.

I set the incline to 5%. First 400m repeat I ran at 6.0mph = 10m/m.

This drove my HR up into the 160s where it stayed. I then walked the recovery of 2 -3 minutes.

Second, third, and fourth repeat was 5% incline, 400m at 6.2mph = ??m/m.

Maximum HR recorded on the Garmin for today was 163.

This makes me ask you, (Istvan), should I have hammered the hill repeats faster? Or should I have set the incline at a higher percentage? Or did I do OK eventhough I didn't become anaerobic? 

My maxHR is 220bpm (or higher, I have not had a lab test). RHR 41-44.

I felt that I was working hard on the hill repeats - especially my leg muscles; it wasn't quite as hard on my breathing as it was on my legs. It was all together managable.

After the hill repeats I had already run almost 5 miles. I thought I would run a little more at a moderate pace and just see how the body felt. It felt OK and I decided that I would run at least 2 miles before quitting. I allowed myself to stop and walk and drink water once in a while - who's to say you can't do that? It's my run, right? I was not running quite as slowly as I normally do on the trail; I ran just a tad faster, which by no means is fast compared to the paces I used to run before I was injured. After 2 miles I was in a groove with my body and the music on my MP3 player and I decided to keep running for 1/2 mile longer and then pick it up a little for a 1.5mile moderately hard effort on the last part of today's run - I pushed the incline up to 2% and the pace up just a little and noticed that my HR was in the low 160s at the end of the run. 

The total became 9 miles plus a little walking to cool down and drink water.

C-R

Its my one day of track work (ouch) for the week and I have to call myself out on this one. Enjoy the humor as it was really funny when I put the pieces together. My grand plan is to warm up to get to the track, run 4x1  mile repeats with one lap recovery jog and jog back to the office for a shower. Things break down quickly and I fully understand why people have pace tattoos now.

On my way to the track I was calculating what I needed to run my miles. Goal = between 5k and 10k which is about 6:40 per mile. Now I get to the track and think its a 400 yard track because we all know 400 yards is equal to 400 meters. This is where my math went South. I added another 1/4 of a lap to make up for the difference to get to a mile. Can you see the flaw? I take off and hit my first mile in 6:30. Winded but ok its hot. Recover and hit my next mile in 6:35. Its starting to hurt. Recover and hit my next mile in 6:33. Now I'm close to coughing up a lung. I ditch the last mile and run a little extra recovery lap and head to the barn. Now I check my garmin and find that when checking my laps that I have extra lap times. The garmin is nice to make an auto lap every one mile. So there are these little laps that are about 25 seconds hanging at the end. And then it dawns on me that I can't do simple math. Such as 1600 meters = .993 miles. So a quick check of the mile times shows I am running sub 6:10 on those repeats. Just a little faster than the plan. On the bright side, these times are pretty darn close to 19:00 minute 5k. Ugh.

Object lesson for the day. Don't do math in your head on the way to the track for intervals. Heh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Mighty darn fast no matter how you measure, Carmel! 

Be extra careful computing in the event of heavy rainfall, as you know:

maf or Maf

a symbol for one million acre feet. This symbol, commonly used in reservoir management in the U.S., should be written Maf. 1 Maf = about 1.2335 billion cubic meters.

lg

♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
                    Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
                    ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
                    C-R

Starting to sharpen the blade for my BQ attempt. Track work today 4x1mile repeats with 800 recovery. Hit these repeats in 6:11 - 6:21 and felt at ease and comfortable.

Coupling LHR and finally dropping those extra pounds (now around 163 mostly due to snacking healthy throughout the day which prevents over-eating on my part) has really helped.

I am cautiously optimistic for Nov 7 but there's still lots of work to be done.

5 mile race next weekend and a at least one HM in Oct. More to come.

BTW - where is LowGear?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

I just popped up on the "Expose" thread, Norm.

You seem to be sailing along nicely. Great work!

As the Huskers prepare for a scary trip to Virginia Tech, I try to stay rested and calm.
                        I'm anticipating near MHR for Saturday..and that's just for the first half!
                        It's just a game, of course.  
                        lg

Been in a running slump the past few days, but planned to run a MAF run at lunch. By the time I got outside, my HR had jumped to MAF -10 for some reason.  I needed to run so decided to run without paying attention to MAF

2.58 miles

26:15

avg HR 166 (way above MAF)

Was winded when I returned but feet felt pretty good (for the first time in a while).  Should return to MAF with the next run.

John

C-R

Today was something new. I am trying to make the long run a workout instead of just a steady state run. Ran a mile ladder today 3-2-1-1-2-3 with 1min recovery jog for each mile ran and a two mile warm up. Ended up running a little more than 15.6 at an average of HM pace. It was a tough workout but really rewarding. I ran more by feel than by pace or HR data. Pushed hard, a little harder and then pretty hard. Garmin details are in my log. First mile HR was goofy. Ran this on an indoor track (8 laps/mi) as it was snowing and slick outside.

I feel pretty good about my fitness going into Disney

Consistently Slow

15 on indoor track, WOW!

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

C-R

15 on indoor track, WOW!

Sounds worse than it is. The ladder keeps you focused on other things and there were others running too. Downside is all the turns. There is no banking and I have a new blister but it will heal soon enough and make a tough spot. You've had a good year Clay. Consistent. Bodes well for 2010.