Low HR Training

"Anaerobic" Phase HRT (over MAF) Reports & Discussion (Read 6049 times)

I will see soon. 2) do I need more mileage for MAF to make it more stimulating for me? this one is tricky because there is a possibility that there is only so much time spent with running before my joints decide this is too much (I started running only 7 months ago, 7 on this exact day!). anyway, a related question is, will the necessary mileage depend on the person's running history? I was doing quite a lot of MPW at MAF+10 that wasn't overload so perhaps 30-35MPW at MAF is understimulating for me. but maybe for someone else who was only able to do 10MPW at MAF+10, 30MPW at MAF is perfectly stimulating.

2)You may need to change your route?

Since you have only been running 7 months I am guessing your base is (foundation) is weak. Two or more yrs with over 1000 miles is a solid base.  Have you manged 700 miles ? Just remember slow and steady. The goal is to run for decades and not months.(my goal). I have been runing since 89' which is kids play on RA.

sorry not sure, what do you mean by changing route? sorry, the quoting system seems to have gone a bit weird (in your post at least).

in the 7 months I've done about 620+ miles (I haven't counted the warmup things, maybe it takes it to 650miles but that's tops really).

so about 700 miles, do I need that quantity for something? Smile well in this case... I'm pretty close to 700, hehe! just give me a couple more weeks to get there Smile

and yes I want to run for life. but I want SOME LITTLE improvement to be seen as well.

BeeRunB

Today

68ºF 66%H 56ºDP

tm 1%

warmup

15:12  103
      09:57  135

LT RUN
      8:36  174
      9:10  180

3:12  180

2.34 miles  21:00    8:58 pace

extra 20:00   1.47 mi  13:38 pace
      13:37   153

06:25   143

Total 5.71 miles 11:27 average pace.

Added twenty minutes at my previous MAF test pace, to cool down a bit and clear out the lactate.

Heading iin the right direction.

--Jimmy

long run today, way below LT but way over MAF... warm+often sunny day :P temp was 72F in shade. no humidity though! dewpoint only around 40F, felt fine.

I'm probably crazy as I did a 11:08m/m pace half marathon distance today. actually 13.25 miles. but I wanted that! :P

this was my longest distance so far Smile but in time only 17 mins more than longest run, which was a MAF run at 2:10 hours:mins or so. this one was 2:27:57

1 loop: 5.3km (whatever that may be in miles) 

loop data:

36:23mins, 10:57m/m pace, 167 AHR
        37:31mins, 11:18m/m pace, 170 AHR
        37:29mins, 11:18m/m pace, 173 AHR
        36:34mins, 11:00m/m pace, 179 AHR

total pace: 11:08m/m, 172 AHR.

I got heavy HR drift after 1.5 hours. partially because it was very sunny at times. and partially because I always get the drift around then. but at MAF it is only 2-3bpm (didn't test in 72F sunny weather yet, though, but close enough temps, maybe I had long MAF runs at around 70F, just less sunny). a lot more drift today.

HR was around 170 before, shot up to 175-176 relatively fast before the middle of 3rd loop and then I couldn't get my legs to go slower, they didn't like the idea, so I sped up a really little bit, HR kept drifting hence the 179 avg at the end.

my MAF: 153, my LT: somewhere in between 184-194.

BeeRunB

LT Run today

79ºF  59%H  63ºDP

TM 1% incline

16:46 105
          08:13  132

LT RUN

lap...avHR....last LT run
          8:31  174 .....(8:36  174)
          9:05  179 .....(9:10  180)
          3:24  180 .....(3:12  180)

21:00 2.34 mi.  8:58 pace (same as last run)

extra run:

13:31  159
          11:30  155

total 5.87 mi 12:06 average pace.

Ran the same distance and time as last week's LT run, but

today the temperature was 11º hotter (79º) than last week (68º). Was going

along fine, then my HRM began to spike after 2 miles. Jumped

from 179 to 186 bpm. I slowed down big time to get it down, but

it kept hopping from 175 to 185 every ten seconds or so. During the

extra run, the HRM was reading 160-165 at 13:38 per mile. I took my pulse

for ten seconds a few times and got reading of 144-150 (24-25bpm x6). Figured

I wasn't having palpitations, and it was the watch.  Despite the blippiness, it was

still progress to run the same pace and distance as last week, since

this week's run was in a much hotter, stressful temperature.

--Jimmy

gregw

Jimmy, is your treadmill outside?  Why the 11 degree swing?
            BeeRunB

Jimmy, is your treadmill outside?  Why the 11 degree swing?

Inside. I'm holding off as long as possible on using AC. I'm attempting to acclimate to the hot weather. There's a good chance the races I'm running in June-July will be near 80º. Georgia is only going to get hotter throughout the summer as well. I don't want it to kick my butt this year. So, far it seems that my body is doing well with it.

So, I've been just letting the temperature in the room be what it is. Last week, the overnight temperatures were cooler on that day.The room stayed at 68º. Today it was 79º.

--Jimmy

gregw

Ah.  I grew up in Georgia, so I know the weather.  I still can't believe my elementary school didn't have air conditioning  (100 year old building) .  I can't imagine trying to learn in that now, but I don't even remember it being that big a deal at the time.
                BeeRunB

Ah.  I grew up in Georgia, so I know the weather.  I still can't believe my elementary school didn't have air conditioning  (100 year old building) .  I can't imagine trying to learn in that now, but I don't even remember it being that big a deal at the time.

We didn't have AC in R.I., but we did have heat.

I was talking to my wife about how Georgians 100 years ago didn't have AC.

The body can acclimate.

I think my body is responding better this year because my stress levels

are way down. The stress was pretty high all the way through September last year

with the move.

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

Lactate Threshold Tempo

tm 1%

79ºF 62%H

Warmup 1.89 miles 25:00
                    15:13 105
                    09:47  137

LT RUN
                    08:26  175
                    09:10  180
                    03:24  179

21:00 

2.36 miles

8:54 pace

extra 25:00  1.91 miles
                    12:27  158
                    12:12   145

Some progress over last week.

Slowly but surely. HR during cooldown

much better this week.

--Jimmy

I did some anaerobic miles last night on the Dreadmill as the weather has been pretty shitty here lately. I hate running a the Dreadmill, but what is a guy suppose to do when he wants to run?

6.36 miles in 1 hr.

Average HR = 153

Max HR = 181

Interval 1 Mi 9:52.02 9:52.02 9:53 137 143  
                      Interval 1 Mi 10:09.2 20:01.22 10:10 140 146  
                      Interval 1 Mi 7:20.23 27:21.45 7:21 170 181 Goal 5k pace
                      Interval 1 Mi 10:25.34 37:46.79 10:26 156 177  
                      Interval 1 Mi 8:50.42 46:37.21 8:51 161 166 Goal Marathon pace
                      Interval 1 Mi 10:24.28 57:01.49 10:25 154 164  
                      Interval 0.36 Mi 2:59.78 1:00:01.27 8:20 166 174 0.25 mile sprint @ 6:00 pace

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

How often do you do  tempo runs( race pace)? I have not run race pace in 5+ years. Trying to decide is it worth the risk or is it even necessary. Using the team Oregon pace wizard  the predicted HR 185 gives a time of 49:27. My race time was 49:20 / HR avg 170.  It was a fast  course. I can never maintain the HR on the charts. Wish I could .Times would be lower.I would like to reach the higher HR's. So, here is the  question : Should I train to maintain  Hr or maintain pace? The maffing  and  hill work (ever 7 or 8 days)has worked so far. If it ain't broken why fix it.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

How often do you do  tempo runs( race pace)? I have not run race pace in 5+ years. Trying to decide is it worth the risk or is it even necessary. Using the team Oregon pace wizard  the predicted HR 185 gives a time of 49:27. My race time was 49:20 / HR avg 170.  It was a fast  course. I can never maintain the HR on the charts. Wish I could .Times would be lower.I would like to reach the higher HR's. So, here is the  question : Should I train to maintain  Hr or maintain pace? The maffing  and  hill work (ever 7 or 8 days)has worked so far. If it ain't broken why fix it.

Perhaps, "if ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. You've been progressin nicely with the MAF work and racing.

Sometimes, racing is enough.

185 for a 10k--that makes your MHR about 198-ish? How did you figure that out?

I'm curious as to why you can't push harder in the races. Do you feel like you're not running full effort, or is that as fast as your legs will go?

Currently, I'm running a weekly tempo in the neighborhood of 15k to half marathon pace. Preparing a race season. Once I start racing, I plan not to do them a week before or after the race, for rest and recovery. If I race bi-monthly, I won't do them at all. There would be no point. Racing is enough.

--Jimmy

I saw your report in the other thread (congrats! and don't forget I will be doing 50min 10K too and I'm female which puts me at a disadvantage - just responding again to that post of yours where you said you are better and you said that out of no reason at all). and I wondered already how it was possible to do an all-out 10K at 168 if the MHR is really 198 (or similar, I forget the exact number for yours now). mine's 208 and a 10K at 176 (85% of MHR, same % as yours) would be crazy far from an all-out. :P

maybe you are the slow twitcher type of runner... who can't access the anaerobic system very well. (I'm the other way around; I can access it all way too easily!)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Perhaps, "if ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. You've been progressin nicely with the MAF work and racing.

Sometimes, racing is enough.

185 for a 10k--that makes your MHR about 198-ish? How did you figure that out?

I'm curious as to why you can't push harder in the races. Do you feel like you're not running full effort, or is that as fast as your legs will go?

Currently, I'm running a weekly tempo in the neighborhood of 15k to half marathon pace. Preparing a race season. Once I start racing, I plan not to do them a week before or after the race, for rest and recovery. If I race bi-monthly, I won't do them at all. There would be no point. Racing is enough.

--Jimmy

The 185 came from Team Oregon pace wizard. I tend to  worry about running out of gas. I may need to add tempo runs to build confidence or not wear the HR monitor to races. I made 3 water stops. I  came to a full stop to drink about 6 oz of water. The last stop about 3 oz. After mile 2 no one passed me. The last mile was the fastest. Now that  I  have time to reflect. I talk to a guy who had a couple of kids running and I was not breathing particularly hard. I my need to run faster than " talk test " pace. I need to calculate 170 to max 198. 85%.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter