Martial Artist Runners

Any book recommendations? (Read 341 times)

So far I've read: Dave Lowry's Sword and the Brush A book about Japanese calligraphy and its relationship with martial arts. I found this book insightful in terms of the meaning behind important words but a bit dry. Lowry's gifted and articulate writing helped a lot. Taisen Deshimaru's The Zen Way to Martial Arts Despite it being a small book, it took me a long time to finish. The subject is very abstract and I feel like I have to meditate on every chapter to truly understand the full meaning.
    TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

I enjoy some thought provoking books on martial arts, philosphy and culture. I like your selections and agree with your assessments. I would say that those two books and the one's below are good to return to at different stages of training and life experience for fresh and new appreciation. Considering your background may I suggest four books that each quite different, but I have found useful. Zen and the Japaneses Culture by D T Suzuki A little academic, but comprehensive with good quotes and stories. The Book of the Samurai: Hagakure byYamamoto Tsunetomo (translated by William Scott Wilson) Provides some interesting insights. The Martial Spirit: an introduction to the origin, philosphy and psychology of the marital arts. by Heraman Kauz The author shares his journey in the martial arts and his motivations along the way. His conclusion may not be the same as you or I, but it has it's insights and interesting introspections. Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel Very esoteric and lends itself to the spiritual journey of zen and martial arts well. I believe there is an intoduction by D T Suzuki too. Considering your Kobudo background I am sure you have come across these, but I enjoy recommending them because they have been significant books to me at times. Good reading.
      Find the fun.
        Moving toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan I forgot to mention this is one of my favorite books. Each little story is a piece of the overall picture of living with martial arts as a life style, not just a sport. Sometimes these stories borrow from zen, buddhist or tao teachings. It was easy to read because each short story came with a real life example. Differently recommend this book.
          Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee He was so far ahead of his time
          What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.