Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - WEEK 1 (Read 2 times)

ONE WEEK !

I'm so excited!

I had a fantastic day today. The Detroit Marathon was today. There are about 19,000 that run the front half, with about 6000 marathoners. So, last year they figured, hey we've got all of this course in the back and very few people on it. So they started a back half. The front half goes into Canada and back. It is really cool. But I've done it, and the start is super crowded. So last year and this, my husband and I have done the U.S. only back half. (They probably also started the back half because of all of the people who couldn't read that you need a passport to get your bib for this race, and then they would be mad that they couldn't do it.) Anyway, we love doing the back because there are less than 1500 people and it starts at 10:00. Yes, 10:00. No getting up early. I love this. We headed down at 8:30 and saw the first parking lots were $50. Yep, there is a Lions game today, so let the gouging begin. Well, we kept circling around trying to get farther from the ball field and we found a lot for $20. We tried to get into it, but made a wrong turn, and ended up in front of a FREE street spot. I will admit that the spot was about 20" longer than the car, but I did an amazing parallel parking job (good thing I had to teach my daughter how to do this recently, cause it really gave me a refresher).

My goal was to run this race as my last 10 mile pace run (which was supposed to be last Thursday). I'm a bit afraid that the 3 less days to recover might cause a problem at MCM, but whatever. I wanted to run the first mile in the 12:30 area. So I started at the back of the pack and went really slow. Garmin (new 310XT which is great), says I am doing 10:00. What? So I slow down more, and am barely moving. Garming says 11:00. Oh my, I slowed down even more and mile 1 ended up at 12:30.  I cannot believe how slow I was running. What a great reminder lesson about the first miles feeling so easy. Miles 2-11,  I was aiming for 11:15s because I figure with not running the tangents well, this is probably what I will need to get under 5 hours. Ended up with 11:10 pace. At mile 11 I started to walk. I wanted to just run it in, but thought, don't overdo. Yeah, that only lasted for a short bit, and I started running again, but tried to do it slowly. At mile 12 there is a fair sized hill. When I saw it, all I could think about was running up the final hill at MCM, so I charged up it. Ended up with an average pace of 10:45 for the last 2.1 miles. Oops.

It was so interesting running at the back like this. I ended up with a 2:28:?? which really isn't that much slower than I would normally run ( PR of 2:17:?? ). But I started at the very back (4:00 HM pace) and after the first slow mile, just spent the rest of the race passing everyone. and it felt easy. Can I do another 13.1 at that pace. I guess I'll find out next Sunday.

Today's run has really given me the confidence to go for the 4:59. Even if I miss, I'd rather go for 4:59 and end up with 5:30, than go for 5:15 and get 5:15. I also went back in my training log and looked at my MP runs and my long run paces. I actually did all of the MP runs at 11:05 or faster. And I did a lot of them. The LR's were supposed to be 12:05 ish, and most of them were close.

Weather was kind of cold here. I think we started in the 40s and ended in the low 50s. So I got to try out my clothes and feel good about that too.

Patty, I hope you feel better soon and the antibiotics do their job. Good thing we are on taper this week and you can get some rest. How did the Army 10 miler go for your husband?

Damaris, ouch to the cyst. I take it there is no after effect from this ? I checked out the arm warmers, so I should be able to recognize you, (plus, I don't want to call you a picture ho, but perhaps I have seen a lot of pics of you Wink . I really hope you can PR at this race. You certainly have worked for it.

And I for one would be happy to keep the weeklies going.

Docket_Rocket

Me?  Picture ho?  You don't say!!!!

I just like to share life with pics.  I think it captures everything or more than the written word.

ONE WEEK!!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Wow, Kim!  Great half, er, training run : )  Sounds like the Hanson's plan has had some real benefits for you!

Damaris,  OUCH.  Sure hope you're feeling ok, that sounds awful.  The good news is there was an explanation for the pain and (hopefully) it's unlikely to happen again.

Thank you both for the kind words re:  my sinuses.  They and my lungs are behaving much better.  I guess at this point I just need a few more easy runs and some faith in all the weeks of training.  Oh, and maybe my inhaler ; )

The Army Ten Miler went really well for my husband.  He stayed in a relatively easy heart rate zone most of the way and PR'd by a few minutes.  We hung out with Team RWB (a veteran's organization) so it was like having our own community of 150+ runners and hangers-on.  A really great group of people!

I'd be happy to keep this group going - it's been great to hear about your training and to have your support on mine!  Here's my attempt at sharing some pictures, let me know if you can see them at this link https://plus.google.com/photos/105281415433096947343/albums/5937036675838615217?authkey=CL2AzfOc47Dlew

This time next week....I expect to be sound asleep!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Patty, I can see the pictures. Doesn't mean I'll be able to pick you out of 30,000 people, but at least I have a better idea.

SRD for me today. Glad to have it too. Have the taper twinges going all over my hips and ankles. But I know it is just to fake me out, so I'm ignoring them.

Have a great 6th day to go!

5 Day to Go !

Did 7 miles very easy today. I am not looking forward to the cold. Yes, it is miserable running in the hot, but I really don't like the cold. And if we get to the start a few hours ahead of time.....Brrrrr.

Just wondering if your husbands are going to be spectating ? I was watching some youtube videos of previous races, and was quite surprised at how crowded the sidelines are. I'm wondering how hard it is to spot a fan.

Got a new Shuffle today. Although my half marathon was a great day, I just couldn't find my shuffle. Looked everywhere. My husband then told me to check my clothes. Well, of course it wouldn't be there as I had washed them. Ugh, yep, found it one one of my skirts, dead. So got a new one today and now I'm loading it with songs that will make me fly.

Docket_Rocket

Hubby will be doing the 10K and then waiting for me.  So, I guess he won't have time to spectate.

I did 7 miles with 2 @ MP this morning (well, 4am and it was already 80F, grrrr).  Felt very good.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Not feeling my best : (  Still fighting off the sinus infection and still congested after 6 days of antibiotics, sudafed and mucinex.  Enough already, be gone!  I started prednisone today and hope that does the trick.  I did an easy run Monday morning and felt ok but woke up Tuesday feeling rotten again.

My husband is running MCM too.  He'll finish about an hour a head of me, most likely.  Some running friends are planning to spectate, I imagine it will be pretty crowded.

Yay for the new shuffle!  My play list could use an update - share your favorites, please : )

Docket_Rocket

Feel better, Patty.  I ran MCM on prednisone last year.  I felt like queen of the world and my breathing was at 49%.  You should start feeling better after 3 days on it.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Not feeling my best : (  Still fighting off the sinus infection and still congested after 6 days of antibiotics, sudafed and mucinex.  Enough already, be gone!  I started prednisone today and hope that does the trick.  I did an easy run Monday morning and felt ok but woke up Tuesday feeling rotten again.

My husband is running MCM too.  He'll finish about an hour a head of me, most likely.  Some running friends are planning to spectate, I imagine it will be pretty crowded.

Yay for the new shuffle!  My play list could use an update - share your favorites, please : )

My playlist is full of reggaetón.  If interested in that, I would suggest Daddy Yankee's:

Rompe

Lose Control (in fact, the whole Prestige album is on my playlist)

Gasolina

If your legs are not flying with that, I don't know with what.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Thank you for the good words & music ideas!  I have no idea what reggaeton is but I'll find out : )

Day 2 of prednisone, things are getting better.

Kim - what the heck do you look like?  Here's my email or look me up on facebook (Patty Mulkeen Remoy) so I can have some idea of who I'm looking for : )

Damaris, is this the longest race for your husband. Tell him good luck.

Patty, oh no...I sure hope the prednisone continues to help you improve. I just hate how we have so little control over things when it gets so close to "go" time. Did your husband "race" the 10 miler and now he's doing the marathon ? I've been worrying that running the HM last weekend may have taken some of my umph out of me. 

Still haven't take the time to figure out pictures, so I'll change my avatar. I put on my running shirt, etc, to show you exactly what I'll look like at the race. I always have a hat and sunglasses (they are prescription, so I'll have them on even when it is dark out). If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try and change the avatar to a regular shot so you can actually see my smiling face. Our plane leaves tomorrow at noon, so I'm almost already on my way !

Edited to add: Okay figured out that my profile picture and avatar can be different. So if you click on my name and go to my profile you can see my smiling face. (Ouch, my ages shows up at 52, just turned that yesterday).

I tried the Rompe song. It certainly has a beat. I think I would grow to like it. One of my favorite songs is Typical by Mutemath. I think it is the video that hooked me. Here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XVWR-5fiG0

Also Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger.  And most things by Linkin Park.

THREE DAYS TO GO!

Kim, great pictures!  I'll look for that great First Cav insignia : )  I think you're on the plane by now : )  You too, probably, Damaris!  Safe travels & hotel finding.  Happy expo shopping!

Hubby ran more than raced the 10 miler and still came in a bit faster than 2 years ago.  He watched his heart rate and was on orders from his coach to stay in certain zones for the 1st half and 2nd half.

Easy 2 miles with beginning runners last night & it felt so good to run again!  Day 3 of prednisone brings more hope.  I stopped the mucinex and sudafed as they make it hard to stay hydrated & the sudafed bumps my heart rate up a bit. Feeling better but still very unsure about pace for Sunday.

Woo hoo, we are here. Had an uneventful flight (the best kind) and our hotel is great. Had dinner at an excellent pizza place with a gazillion beers, and because we ate so early it was happy hour. And I don't need to be a designated driver. Going to the expo tomorrow with a bit of sightseeing.

The atmosphere here is great. So many runners.

Keep getting better Patty. It's going to be a great day and you deserve a great run.

Good morning and good luck!!!