Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 10 (Read 4 times)

10 more weeks.....aaaahhhh!

Damaris, I love the idea of music for the last 6 miles. I have a 5k, 10k, and marathon playlist, each one has a bit more pep...I'll have to switch to the 10k when I get to mile 20. If I get to mile 20.

Today was supposed to be 6 @MP. I tried every trick just to get through 5, and then I had to stop. But you know how sometimes you stop and then after a bit of a rest, you realize you could have kept going...well that wasn't true today. Once I stopped I realized how overheated I was, and I'm really happy I stopped.  I just did an extra cool down mile to keep the mileage at 8.

Ever since I read that MothAudio had a stroke, someone who is clearly very fit, I'm a bit freaked out by that. How do we all know we don't have that hole in our heart?

Anyway, Patty, glad your IT band is not acting up. How is your knee doing? Perhaps the knee pain can mask any hip pain Joking.

One more week until we are in single digits.

Yikes! 10 more weeks!

4.5 easy miles yesterday; 6 Yasso 800s on the track today.  This seems like "magic" rather than exercise physiology but I'll take whatever I can get : )  I went out at 4 m 30 sec 800 meter repeats (paced by a coach) and managed to do all 6 at that pace (about a 9 min mile).  It was hotter and more humid than it's been and it felt sorta hard but not all out hard.  So far so good!

Kim, I think you're right, the knee stuff didn't bother me in part because my hip felt so good : )    Must remember to pick feet up more : )

Are you getting the same "heat wave" we are?  It went from lovely 70s with no humidity to almost 90 with humidity today.  Not unreasonable for August but the cooler week was nice : )

Stroke?  Oh dear.

10 more weeks.....aaaahhhh!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  I did a nice 8 yesterday and today was the dreaded 4 X 800, ugh.  I had to slow down 20-25sec/mile so I was not happy with the intervals but with asthma and in 95F I cannot ask for perfection.  I get disappointed but I am sure my coach will say they were perfectly adjusted for weather.

Kim, don't get me wrong.  I have music for the whole race but the last 6 miles are special!  Sorry about being overheated.  Take care of yourself.  I wouldn't worry about Moth's issue.  I think it's somewhat genetic.  Live life to the fullest, try to be healthy, we cannot ask for anything else.

Patty, nice run.

For the record, my lowest temps are above 81F and lowest heat index is 86F.  That's like at 3am.  75-78 dewpoint.  I want some relief already!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Ladies, I didn't receive the email but some did.  New course changes:

Link

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Thanks for the link, Damaris!  Flatter sounds ok to me : )  Nice job on the 800 m repeats - either asthma or humidity would kick most plans to the curb, way to get a workout in!

Work and life have jumped me from behind, no run today.  Too tired from highest weekly mileage ever (41!) + new semester starting with lots of presentations and phone calls and other interactions that tire this introvert out + taking on a bigger role with a beginners program that starts this week. Hopefully I'll get my run in tomorrow and all will go well tomorrow evening, wish me luck!

Great job ladies on the repeats! I'm supposed to do 6 x 800s on Saturday, but I'm thinking I may stop doing the speed work in this plan. I had 15 scheduled for today, and I did get it done, but I had to walk a lot of mile 11 & 12, then I took a 10 minute break before finishing it up. I'm thinking this Hanson's plan is just too much for me. Of course it didn't help that the ankle was killing me for almost the whole thing. I wish I could figure out what is causing pain sometimes and not others.

I'm going to look over Hal Higdon's plan and think about switching. I used that for the last cycle, and I really wasn't ready, but this cumulative fatigue is very discouraging. And, do I really care about my time???? Who knows. I'm a mess today.

And yes Patty, we are definitely getting more heat here, but I hate to even mention the Hot 88 degrees when that is a cool day for Damaris. It's just that we have been in the 60 and low 70 for so long.

Kim, ouch!  Good luck figuring out your ankle issues, that sounds frustrating.

I did 4.5 today with about 3 miles at 10:00 pace.  Shorter than I'd intended but I slept in a bit late.  Oh well, I won't miss this week once it's over : )

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies!  Sorry I have been MIA but I've been swamped at work!  I took an SRD on Wednesday due to the weather being 100F and 77DP and me not wanting to run in that shit, but did 10/3 on Thursday and 8 last night.  Hoping for 8 tonight.

Keep up the good work!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Got my 6x800s done today. My daughter says to keep on the Hanson's plan a few more weeks and see if things get better. So I'll keep trying.

Great running Damaris.  I can't blame you for not wanting to run in 100 degrees. Wow! That SRD came at just the right time.

Patty, your 10:00 mm pace puts you about a 4:22 marathon. Are you thinking somewhere around there?

Tomorrow...it will only be 9 more weeks!

Hope work and heat/humidity let up for you Damaris : )

Kim, it must have been the week for 800s!  Great job getting that done - hope the ankle issue is history!

Yesterday was 14 miles and we did manage to slow it down a bit but still took plenty of time at the water stops.  No falls and no wrong turns, though!

My coaches have put the idea in my head that I'm on track for 4:30, so I thought I'd try picking up the pace on some of my not-hard runs.  We'll see.  If I run MCM in 4:30 I will pop champagne & celebrate for quite a while!!

Kim,  I just looked at your log and noticed that you had a 50 mile week last week!!  Way to go!  I was tired all last week after hitting 40 miles : )