Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 5 (Read 2 times)

URD for me. I'd tell you why, but I made a commitment to not whine and over dramatize my aches Big grin.

Unbelievable, only 5 more weeks.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, I finished my week with 22 miles and the weather was so horrid to be doing MP and HMP paces so I adjusted a little. We'll see what my coach says.  75 miles for the week.

Kim, hope you feel better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Wow! 22 miles. I'm so hopeful for  your success in Chicago. If the weather stays cool, and your asthma stays in Florida, you should do great.

SRD for me today. A lot of resting going on here Wink

Now where is Patty?

Wow - did I miss a whole week of updating? Darned job : ) Oh and weekend at the beach (don't hate).  My husband did a triathlon on the Outer Banks in NC.  Gorgeous weather for the race & he won 2nd in his age group; crappy weather for our long runs on Sunday.  I persisted for 12 miles then cut it short because the visibility was getting worse and so was the traffic.  Better to live to run another day.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's death, Damaris, and the death of your coworker's husband.  It sounds like you're at peace with both losses; hope the additional stress is minimal.  Oh, and happy anniversary and birthday too - wow, that's quite the rollercoaster of emotions  : )

75 miles - impressive!

Kim, I like the idea of the quote you mentioned but the reality of it is that I like order and a certain degree of safety even more : )  Just like I am intrigued by the idea of trail running but I avoid mud and gravel on my runs : ) In my family, running at all sets me apart as adventurous and highly physically active, which seems kinda crazy to me given how un-adventurous I feel.  Luckily, my husband is very much into running/cycling/swimming so he's a good role model for me; he's more of a risk taker than I am but he learns the skills and practices and takes risks that he's prepared for (scuba diving, for example).

I think you're right, we've been doing the work and getting stronger, so hopefully we'll see the payoff : )

Sooo, last week was pretty good, no new aches and pains, lower mileage week mostly due to oversleeping.  Tonight's group run is a progressive fartlek run - 3 miles of alternating fast and "slow" with the fast getting faster.  Say a little prayer for me : )  Our coaches insist on telling us the workout ahead of time.  I'd rather just show up and do whatever they have planned.  Denial is my friend.

Happy training & happy almost taper!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Sorry Patty....weekend at the beach...I'm hating  Wink. Naw, glad you got away. Congrats to your husband. I would like to do triathlons,  but I don't particularly like swimming or biking. Ha.  My husband is a good runner and biker but pretty poor in swimming. He thought of training for one, but really doesn't feel he has the time. I've heard the Outer Banks is fabulous.

Still resting here. I haven't run since Saturday. Since Monday is my rest day, I've only missed 3 days, but I feel as if I will have to start all over again as a beginner. Logically I know that isn't true, but emotionally I'm becoming a mess. I did try to run yesterday. Got 500 feet and then decided my "issue" wasn't healed yet, so I turned around and came home. I'm trying to be positive, really I am.

Finally, 10 miles today. Only the usual aches and pains. I'll call that a win.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry!  I have been MIA!  I have needed to shuffled all my workouts but the one on Monday because of weather.  Since Tuesday, we've 100-105F heat indexes and dewpoints between 77 and 80.  I even took a URD.

Today, I did 5 miles this morning and I have 7 tonight.  Third day of morning running and I am exhausted.  This weather needs to stop.

Yay, here's Patty!!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Kim, sorry to hear about the issue.  Did you ever go to the doctor?

Patty, great job last week.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Finally, 10 miles today. Only the usual aches and pains. I'll call that a win.

I missed this post.  Good news!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Kim - Yay for 10 miles with only the usual aches and pains!

Damaris - that weather is ridiculous!  Kudos on switching to morning runs, that's a tough routine to adopt.

So far this week I've had  5 miles of progressive fartleks on Tuesday (plus a wonderful 2 mile easy warm up), a lovely 5 easy miles on Wednesday, a shortened moderate run on Thursday (4.6 with 3.5 at MP pace) then a ridiculously long run with the group I coach (how did I get 5.9 mi when they got 3?  too much back and forth).  18 planned for Saturday and a 10k with a friend on Sunday.  Luckily her pace is my easy pace so I  hope to survive this.  It's adding up to more miles than I would like, though.  fingers crossed : )

Ok, back to work : (  This would have been a great day to stay home and nap with the kitteh.

Patty

Docket_Rocket

It's only temporary.  There is no way in hell I can sleep 3 hours every night.  I need to sleep all weekend thanks to this.

The dewpoint is now at 69.  Hoping this was just Summer's last ditched effort and that is now over.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Sooo tired.  18 miles Saturday, overall time was 22 minutes faster than last 18 miler.  Our pace was a bit faster but it was largely due to less lollygagging at water stops.  Of course, the day we chose to be quick at the water stops was the same day my digestive system decided to rebel and I was looking for a bathroom a few times.  No emergencies but not so terribly pleasant either.

I ran a 10k today with a friend - her first!  This crazy plan only worked because her pace is quite a bit slower - she did great, very steady and strong throughout and found a kick at the end!

Tomorrow may be a day off, or much shorter, the anticipated naps yesterday and today did not happen : (