Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 11 (Read 2 times)

Let me let you in on a little secret: I do the same!  Do as I say but not as I do!

But seriously, this shitty 60% lung capacity makes me realize I don't suck at running, my lungs do and there is so much I can do with them.  I have come to terms with that.  You might not have that but your set of circumstances are different than the runner you're comparing yourself to.

And after all, it's only running!

Hope this helps?

Yes, this actually does help. Thank you.

It's a big motivator but I try not to be that person who's always talking about running at work (usually fail : )

Take care of that ankle, I'd be whining and icing (and eating ice cream), hope it feels better soon!

I seem to be talking about running all of the time too. Again, way too much time on my hands.

I do like the prescription for ice cream, but I am trying really hard to drop 10lbs before this marathon. I've been wallowing around 135 for most of this year, so now I'm really trying to keep my eating in check. It would be a lot easier to run at 125lbs.

But, I did 5 today and the ankle wasn't too bad. I may have to take walk breaks, and give up my speed work, but as long as I can keep getting the miles in I should be good for October.

A very interesting 18 miles today.  Gorgeous weather - mid 60s and no noticeable humidity.  My garmin died around 5 miles and I tripped on the sidewalk around 10 miles.  No major damage but a pretty good scrape and probably bruise to my knee.  It looked terrible but, luckily, didn't feel as bad.

Patty

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Oh Patty, I hope no permanent damage. Great job on the 18. I picked the Hanson plan cause it never goes above 16, and I just didn't feel like running those long, long runs (really, what am I doing training for a marathon?).  I would have been bummed by a dead garmin. Sometimes it seems I didn't really run a run, unless the garmin data is there to prove it Smile

I got 8 in today, with 3 x 1 mile repeats. I wasn't going to do them, cause of the ankle, but once I started running, I thought I'd give it a try. Yeah, No Pain at all (until around mile 6, and then very mild). WTH? I just don't get it.

Docket_Rocket

Ouch, Patty.  I've done that more often than not!  Hope it's nothing major.

Kim, I'm glad the ankle was no problem.

I ran my 6 miles a bit too fast but trying the music I'm using for the last 6 miles of the marathon made me run too fast.  Therefore, the music is perfect, no?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Kim - great news about your ankle! Way to go on 1 mile repeats, that's a tough workout!

Damaris - the music is perfect, we may need that play list : )  I like the strategic planning of which songs to play toward the end of the marathon, that gives me something to think about.

Thank you both for the kind words about my knee.  It looked awful but miraculously, doesn't feel bad unless I forget and cross my legs the wrong way : )  It's a little tender right where I landed but isn't swollen and doesn't hurt to walk or run on, so I consider myself very lucky.  In spite of the knee, I'm excited that my hip feels really good after such a long run.  The dry needling the chiropractor did in my glute and hamstring seems to have made a big difference.

I was going to gross you out with a picture but my brain isn't working after a busy weekend so I'm not sure how to do that - that's probably a big win for you : )

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April