Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - Week 9 SINGLE DIGITS (Read 3 times)

Here we are in single digits. How did this happen? I am starting to get really excited. My husband is coming with me and we are making a mini vacation out of the MCM.

Patty, thank you. Yes, I did hit 50 miles for the last 7 days. They weren't all pretty, but I am getting them done. I am going to switch my training paces to the 5 hour finish, and quit obsessing over missing the 4:45 paces. That's great that your coaches want you to aim for a 4:30, you must be showing the ability to do that.

Damaris, hope you're handling the heat. If you get a cool Chicago you should do very well. Are you aiming for a PR there? (and if so, and you don't mind me being nosy...what would that PR be?)

SRD today for me. But....8 @ MP tomorrow. Hopefully it will be okay with the slower pace.

Kim, 50 miles in a week is a serious milestone!  I don't know how they'd all be pretty : )

I'm still in denial : )  10 minute pace felt fine for a few miles but the real test is how it feels over longer distances, we'll see...  My coaches are really encouraging although one is not fond of all my treadmill time.  I love that they read my log and comment on my training (such a suck up ; )

Today was 3.8 easy, woke up a bit late so I had to cut it a bit short.  The chiropractor put needles in my glute, hamstring and side of my hip (?) today - the last treatment led to a noticeable difference, let's hope this one does too.

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

10 miles today with 8 at MP. I have switched to the slower times in my plan (for a 5:00 finish), so my MP is supposed to be 11:2x, but I'm going to shoot for 11:15 to avoid missing the time due to running a bit more than 26.2 (from bad tangents). I got them done today at 11:09 and it wasn't horrible.

I woke up at 5 (for no reason other than to worry, cause my husband is bike riding from middle Michigan to the northern most point in the lower peninsula for the next 5 days, it's a major ride in this state, and I hate how drivers don't pay attention to bikers), and the temp was already 78. So I got out the door by 6, totally unheard of for me, and got 1 wu, 6 MP, and the heavens opened up on me...so I had to come inside, change my clothes and do 2 MP on the TM, and 1 cd. Not the same effect as a continuous 8, but the best I could do.

Patty, I am envious of your 10 pace, but I'm trying to remember Damaris's words last week about not comparing. Still hard for me. Hope your Chiro visit went well.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies.  Sorry for being absent. Stupid work!

I did my 18 miles with the last 8 @ MP on Sunday.  They were hard.  At the end it was 95F heat index and 77 dewpoint at 9am.  I did 8 last night in cold weather (84F, LOL) and my 800s today in similar weather.  This week is better than last.

Kim, congrats on your 50 mile week! Yes, Chicago is my goal race and I hope to PR, big if possible.  We are still debating the MP, but it should be between 10 and 10:15mm.

Patty, ouch at the needles in the glutes.  I suffer from piriformis and that sounds like something I need.

Kim, nice 10!

I twisted my ankle on Sunday night.  Yesterday, my whole leg felt like it ran a marathon (sore) but today it felt better.

Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Damaris, if I understand this correctly,  you ran 18 miles Sunday, twisted your ankle (I'm assuming after the 18) then  ran 8 on Monday, then 800s on Tuesday...AFTER twisting your ankle. It is very hard to not feel like I am slacking when I read your schedule. I know....don't compare.

8 + 1 easy miles for me today. The plus one is a cool down I run with my dog. I used to do my run, then get my dog and walk her a mile. I had tried running with her, I had a different leash for running, and when I would get that leash, she would hide from me. Ha! Then I found if I don't use a leash at all, she will run with me. So now I run a mile with her, and walk a mile back (she needs some of the walk to smell everything). It helps me get in an extra mile for the running game I'm in. This week my team is playing the number 1 team, so I am going to do my best to get as many extra miles that I can.

Hope you ladies are having a productive day!

Whew, another work week I won't miss!

Last night the training group did 5 miles, 1 mi wu, 5 repeats up a .25 mi hill and 1 mi cd.  The hill is evil because it goes up, levels out then goes up more steeply for a shorter distance.  We were supposed to give steady effort both up and down the hill but the coach & other runners I was with went out a bit too fast.  I felt it on repeat 3 when my heart was thumping.  It was a great workout but definitely one that took extra oomph from me.  Leg and hip felt great after another chiro visit on Monday.

This morning - 5 easy on the treadmill.  I like easy runs : )

Damaris,  10 miles then 8 at MP - wow! Hope your ankle is cooperative, sounds like it has the right idea.

Kim, 8+1 easy?  I can remember a time when nothing about 8 miles sounded easy : )  Hope your husband enjoys his bike ride.  Your dog sounds cute, what kind?

I'm starting to wonder about details like "what will I have for dinner before the marathon" and getting anxious that I won't get a decent dinner!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies.  LOL, when you put it that way, I feel like a bad ass, but I'm not really as bad ass as the nickname below my avi indicates.

8 miles tonight.  They felt easy.  My massage therapist taped my ankle but the tape rolled down (story of my life) so I took it off and use compression socks instead.  The hamstring was giving me some pinging pain but it went away after I warmed up.  Since the massage therapist massaged it, I assume it was because of that.

Kim, nice 9.  The extra 1 will help you add some miles.  I do the same with my husband...without a leash, of course.

Patty, I always eat whatever I can get.  Pizza or pasta.  Don't stress it out.  Yes, if you have never tried something you might feel sick but I have never had that experience while I'm traveling for a marathon.  Nice repeats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

The extra 1 will help you add some miles.  I do the same with my husband...without a leash, of course.

LOLOLOL

Patty, nice job doing hills. I haven't done any of those. I live in a pretty flat area, and let's face it, I hate running hills. I'm a bit worried since Damaris said it has some rollers. But I have heard that the course change has taken out one of the bigger hills.

6 miles today. Went out this morning and enjoyed my daughters cross country meet, although it was getting a bit hot. But hey, they're young.

If I don't get back here for a few days, enjoy your labor day weekend. Here's to cook outs and easy runs.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  I have an SRD, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice weekend!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SRD - yay!

Yesterday was my "moderate" run so I did 5.78 on the treadmill, 1 mi wu, 4 at alleged MP, .78 cd then shower & work & volunteer coaching in the evening : )

Thanks for the calming words, Damaris, sometimes I need them : )

Kim, thanks!  The hills were not my idea, especially that extra repeat when my coach realized we had time for one more Shocked

Happy long weekend, ladies!