Marine Corps Marathon

Weeklies - week 8! (Read 2 times)

Wow, 8 weeks seems pretty close!

My garmin survived an 18 mile run Saturday but died for the 3rd time today.  That was it's last chance.  The new one is on it's charging cradle : )

The 18 this weekend was tough.  Overall it was 10 minutes faster than the last 18 miler which is good since we've been taking long water stops.  But that 10 minute difference was probably due to the break we took 2 weeks ago after my silly fall rather than us being more efficient or speedier.  The last couple of miles were basically run on stubbornness which will probably come in handy on race day : )

Rest day Sunday - should have done a few easy miles but slept in and cleaned house instead.  Tried for 5 easy today, Garmin died, turned on RunKeeper app and ended up with close to 6.  I stayed on the paved walking trail and chose not to be adventurous on the steep, rocky trail in a local park.  Perhaps another day : )

Hope you've both had a fun long weekend (can we add another day, please?)!

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi!

I did 9 on Saturday night after 4 hours of walking on platform heels all through South Beach and drinking with friends.  They went great.

I did 20 miles with the last 10 @ MP+10% yesterday and they went awesome.

I did 9 miles tonight and I just wanted to die, LOL.  Asthma is tight today and I went out at 4:30pm while it was still cloudy and my lunch was still in my stomach, blah!

Overall, I did 66 miles last week and my paces have gotten easier.  I was supposed to run the last 10 miles of the 20 at 11mm and they ended up being somewhere close to 10:30mm and they felt easy.  Not sure what my coach will say, we'll see.  Pace for today's 9: 10:47mm.  I have not run these paces in more than a year and never in the Summer.  Not sure what to think.

Patty, I have 6 weeks and I'm freaking out! Chicago is first for me.  What Garmin do you have and for how long?  Well, nevermind, you got the new one.  Which one?  Nice 6.

Damaris

Hold on there just a minute, Damaris!  I was seriously impressed by the 9 after walking around in heels (and drinking??) then I noticed the 20 miles the next day for a total of 60 miles.  Shoot, that's some serious bad ass running, right there : )  Bummer about the asthma today, but you still managed quite the week of running.

The previous garmin was a 405 purchased in 2008 for my then-boyfriend, now-husband.  Unfortunately, 5 years seems like the average lifespan for these expensive doohickeys.  The new one is the 610; I considered the 210 but wanted the biking features in case I actually do ride my bike some more one day : )  The 310 has loads of features but I just didn't like the look of it so, for once, I paid up and got the one I really liked.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I loved my 610 but the touchscreen is not working well.  I have the 910 and the Fenix now.  Enjoy!

Morning!  9 with 6X800s tonight.

Damaris

Hi Ladies,

Went up north this weekend, hard to get internet access. Ugh! I always feel as if I am complaining, but...I did 4 miles on Saturday and got a new pain in my ankle. The problem with this one, is it didn't go away when I stopped running. In fact it felt just as bad on Sunday and Monday while walking. Seems better today, but I haven't run since then. I'm just so paranoid.

And you two aren't helping. Really, 18 and 20 milers????? My plan doesn't even go above 16, ever. I'm hoping the cumulative fatigue thing works and that 16 will be enough, but if I have to take days off, then that will ruin the concept.

Anyway, great job to both of you. I'm trying not to be envious, I really am.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What works for one might not work for another.

18s and 20s are not required.  In between the PR marathon and SF, I only did 1 14 miler in 1.5 months as my longest run and I was able to complete the race.  Your base is sometimes as important.  Trust the plan.

Final set of 800s went well.  8 miles tonight.

Damaris

Thank you Damaris. Aren't you tired of talking us off the ledge?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No. Cause your turn is coming soon.  Chicago is in 5 weeks, yikes!

Damaris

Week 8 is drawing to a close... the new Garmin is behaving and uploading data, yay!  Training group run Tuesday was 5 miles with 3 at faster than marathon pace.  I managed to hang on to the coaches' pace pretty well and felt good at the end.  Wednesday was a lovely 5 easy miles.

This morning I just couldn't get myself out of bed in time for anything substantial so I ran a little before the new runners group this evening.  A little achy and stiff, probably as much from hunching toward my computer screen at work as from running but I'll re-dedicate myself to the hip exercises anyway.

Off to stretch and prepare for a self defense class tomorrow : )

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, I ended up taking the SRD on Wednesday because my allergy shot effects were huge.  Did 13 yesterday morning and they went great except I felt sick.  I still feel like I have a light cold.  8 tonight.

Oh, and hershey (kitty # 1) is in the hospital for a blocked bladder.  He should be out by tomorrow.

Patty, yay for the Garmin behaving.  Nice run.

Damaris