Marathon Training and Discussions

Question about my last long run (Read 192 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, the plan I've followed so far I've run 3 -18 milers, 2-20 milers, and a 22 miler. This Sun. I'm supposed to go 12 (or a 10K) then one more long run, then a 15, 10, marathon. Here is my question...I have been struggling ever since my 22 miler...little sore, little slow...should I do that distance for my last long run before? Or something else? Thoughts? Advice? Really would appreciate it. I'm feeling pretty confident about the marathon, just don't want to overtrain.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Some books say that 22 miles can be the ceiling for glycogen depletion and therefore can be much harder on you recovery-wise than 20's... That's the reason many plans don't go beyond 20's. Knowing that you did a 22 and have really done well w/ your plan otherwise, I'd personally knock out a 20 and call it a day. The extra recovery required from a 22 doesn't seem worth it to me.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Giants Fan

Thanks Marcus.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

I agree with Marcus, you'll be fine with a 20 miler, or even an 18 miler. If you are still struggling from the last 22 miler, then it's better to take the extra rest and recover a little more.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)