Marathon Training and Discussions

Racing during marathon training (Read 525 times)

Thanks for your help with all my stupid newbie questions. One more: Do you taper when you plan a race as part of marathon training? I'm going to run a Half or two during the training and I'm wondering whether I should do an actual taper week or just run easy for a couple days prior. How do you approach a race during marathon training? My Google search didn't help much.

C-R

Do you taper when you plan a race as part of marathon training? How do you approach a race during marathon training?
      No changes for me - I run easy days before and after - slower but same lengths. I use the races for MP or tempo work. They are a good guide to see if my training is working. 5ks are pure speed play and for fun. I have a HM about three weeks out from my Spring marathon and that results will tell me what my expectations should be for the marathon - all things being equal. Some more experienced racers might have a different take and I'm all ears. Good question.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I usually train through prep races. About the only thing I would consider doing differently would be to work it out so that I've got easy days on Thu & Fri for a Sat race as opposed to a typical week with a longer/harder run on Thu and easy on Fri prior to my weekly long run on Sat. As for recovery, my legs bounce back pretty quickly and usually take the day after off and am back at it on Monday. Good luck

Oh Mighty Wing

depends on the race, but you could always cut out speed work for the week since you will be racing. Just do the same miles you would do on that speed work day but keep it easy. And plan your off day for the day before the day before the race.

A Saucy Wench

Depends on the race and never a full taper - maybe an easier 2 days at most. Sometimes I'll rearrange my mileage a little - front load the week and back off the day or two before. Sometimes I'll rearrange my weeks so races fall on cutback weeks. That's about it. a lot of the races I do around here are on Saturday which helps a lot with flexibility. For a 5K or 10K it just replaces (with w/u &cool down) my normal saturday run and I still do my long run on Sunday. For HM or the 30K I have planned I'll make it my long run for the week and move my rest day from Friday to thursday. Then do a recovery run on Sunday.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

...---...

Depends on the race and never a full taper - maybe an easier 2 days at most. Sometimes I'll rearrange my mileage a little - front load the week and back off the day or two before. Sometimes I'll rearrange my weeks so races fall on cutback weeks. That's about it.
              Same here.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Prince of Fatness

Depends on the race and never a full taper - maybe an easier 2 days at most. Sometimes I'll rearrange my mileage a little - front load the week and back off the day or two before. Sometimes I'll rearrange my weeks so races fall on cutback weeks. That's about it.
                Same here as well. There's a running club nearby that runs a 5K summer series. It's a 5K race the first Wednesday evening of the month from May through August. Throw in some miles before and after and you have a nice 10 mile midweek run with some quality. My schedule is pretty much unaffected and it doesn't break the bank (5 bucks per race).

Not at it at all. 

xor

Taper schmaper.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey, you'd use tapir paper if you were desperate in the middle of a long race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hmm. Maybe this should be part of the training plan a la Globule. Pack a kit, refrain from the morning constitutional and practice squatting by the side of the road. I'll be a more prepared first-timer.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And I'm sure it will throw off the stride of your competition...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.