Marathon Training and Discussions

Cold Hands (Read 931 times)

C-R

Yeah I know = warm heart. Well that isn't cutting it for me. I've noticed in the past three months that when I run long >14 my hands are frightfully cold for about an hour after the run. Anyone else battle this? Suggestions other than HTFU which is what I am doing now (or wearing gloves around the house until they warm).

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I recall that there is some medical condition that leads to cold hands. I can't recall what it is, but it might be worth Googling and mentioning it to your doctor. Are you wearing a heavy enough glove? Maybe that's all you need to do differently.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I notice that when I come in from a run in the cold, I am really hot. Then as I cool down, I cool way down till I am just the opposite. My hands are like ice. I just accept it as part of recovery. A hot coffee at Dunkin Donuts or a really hot shower really helps. Don't worry. Smile

...---...

Same here after long runs - cold hands and feet this time of year. Hot shower/bath fixes that quickly.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

chuckstone

Last weekend after my long run, I had one cold hand. I had worn my watch over my jacket sleeve. It was probably reducing circulation enough for the weather to make my hand cold. This was a first even tho I've run in much colder temps. Maybe your gloves or the wrist part are a little tight?

Dave

I get it really bad. Not immediately after but in the first couple of hours after my long runs. Sometimes the lips turn a bit blue and one time it got really bad and I got the shakes. I'm blaming a bit of low blood sugar. Getting a good meal and some sugar into the system seems to help me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

candyo60

are you sure it's not raynaud's syndrome? More common in women. In the cold it is a vasospam which constricts the blood vessels the digits affected usually turn blue then white with dulled sensation.  As the circulation improves (when your core warms ) the digits then turn a ruddy red and can tingle.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, I think I have borderline Raynaud's in my hands, which are often icy indoors if the temp is below 70F.  Oddly, though, during running is one of the few times the circulation in my hands is fine.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Last weekend after my long run, I had one cold hand. I had worn my watch over my jacket sleeve. It was probably reducing circulation enough for the weather to make my hand cold. This was a first even tho I've run in much colder temps. Maybe your gloves or the wrist part are a little tight?

Tourniquets are not recommended for cold weather running.  Nor for warm.

Yeah I know = warm heart. Well that isn't cutting it for me. I've noticed in the past three months that when I run long >14 my hands are frightfully cold for about an hour after the run. Anyone else battle this? Suggestions other than HTFU which is what I am doing now (or wearing gloves around the house until they warm).

I get Raynauds. If you get home without too much of a problem then just putting hands in a bowl of hot water normally works for me. The problem is when you're far from home and the blood goes from your fingers.

If you have problems during runs I have a few suggestions:

• Make sure you're warm and have your gloves on before you leave the house.
                      • Overdress at the start of the run be prepared to carry gear as you warm up.
                      • Don't leave any bare skin except your face. Especially keep your arms covered.
                      • Wear two pairs of gloves - thick over thin. As you warm up you can put the thick ones in a pocket.
                      • On longer runs eat something.

In my case it's a real problem to get the blood back in my fingers once it goes if I'm out of the house. So the trick is to ensure that it doesn't come to that... always erring on the side of having my hands slightly on the warm side. Whole body warmth certainly helps, but is not enough by itself - I can have the sweat pouring off me and a problem with my hands if I don't pay attention to keeping my hands and arms covered.

Coastal

Training will often result in lowered heart rates and that can contribute as well.  The body doesn't push the blood through fast enough.

LedLincoln:   What is your resting heart rate?  What you describe sounds like what I have experienced.  I can tell when my resting heart rate starts dropping below 40 BPM as my hands get cold (it can go as far as 36).  I've checked the HR quite a few times and it is a consistent effect.  It never happens when I run or exert myself.  It only developed after I lost weight and started running.  Some research indicated that this happens sometimes, especially to people who have a low heart rate anyway.