Marathon Training and Discussions

So soooo...tired (Read 926 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmmm...maybe that's my primary issue--the Benadryl. That's really the only thing that sets this past week apart from any other recent training week. Dammit, I hate this time of the year...and it's only going to get worse until after the trees have flowered. I'm still a bit nervous about what Spring will bring asthma-wise. This will be my first full Spring on the inhaled steroids for that. Bayshore is smack-dab in the middle of tree pollen season...so it could be a miserable experience. If so, then I will know better than to do any more Spring marathons.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Have you tried stuff like Claritin? I think that is the one dh uses. It's a pain because it only works if you take it day after day after day, not just as needed.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I'm on 2 prescription allergy meds (Allegra--systemic oral and Flonase--nasal steroid spray...same steroid in my Advair diskus device) year-round, but come Spring those are not enough for some symptoms. Claritin has never done jack, unfortunately. It works well for my kid, but I might as well eat candy for all the effect it has. I've thought about trying Zyrtec, since it seems to work for so many, but that can also have some drowsy side-effects, so I haven't bothered. Benadryl is great for the hives issues I seem to have every Spring.

~ Sarah Kay

Hawt and sexy

Ok. I don't remember the poster name at CR, but I believe they were a dietitian. They posted in the nutrition section a bunch and had replacements for almost anything that worked really well. I know I came across this while researching some diet things for use with MAFfing. It's useful. ------------------------------- Faux-Endurance Sportsdrink 1/2 C. + 4 tsp. sugar 1/2 tsp. Morton Lite Salt 1/2 tsp. table salt 1 pkg. unsweetened "Kool-aid" mix (any flavor you like) Mix with 2 Q. water to make 64 oz. Each 8 oz serving has 56 Calories, 14 grams carbohydrate, 220 mg sodium and 85 mg potassium. Gatorade Endurance Formula (8 oz) has 50 Calories, 14 grams carbohydrate, 200 mg sodium, and 90 mg potassium. ------------------------------------ ***Posting this really makes me miss CR. We had a really good thing going there with experts in almost anything. Add to that threads about running with 20+ posters that gave very good info every month, and we had some very good discussions there where we learned from each other. That type of thing seems to be shunned here, so many of them left, Sad.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oooh...that recipe looks perfect--especially being able to make it in a variety of flavors (I think the Gatorade Endurance only comes in lemon-lime, maybe?). I LOVE grape Kool-Aid. I just read the recipe to the hubby and he wants me to e-mail it to him to share with his cycling buddies. Gatorade in any variety is $$...making it from scratch would save a ton of cash, too. I'm guessing it wouldn't have any gritty or chalky residue...that's what I have found with opening the Endurolytes capsules into Gatorade...a kind of yucky scum. I suppose I could just take individual capsules, but that requires one more thing to have to carry and deal with...and have to keep free of sweat. I totally get your frustration with the way some topics are seemingly verboten and the way less popular views or training methods aren't respected and/or are downright mocked. I've seen it with the MAF discussions as well as the suggestion by some related to the electrolyes thing that cramping is caused only by overexertion/undertraining (though I have read enough accounts from highly trained and experienced runners who have experienced it to think that some of us are just more prone for whatever physiological reason). This might fly were it not for the fact that I'm one of those people who will occasionally deal with leg and foot cramps in the middle of the night--when I am certainly not overexerting myself (and long before I ever started running). The amount of salty sweat crust I'll have on my face after a race when other runners have none or very minimal salty film also makes me believe that we don't all sweat the same concentration of water or electrolyte minerals. My best friend has run a lot of races with me and is still astounded by how differently our bodies' cooling systems respond to identical conditions. If the salt is all over my face, instead of my bloodstream, then it seems logical that at some point the level necessary to control muscle contractions properly will be diminished. It would be nice if RA had a variety of experts in multiple areas, like what CR had...perhaps that will happen with time. I think a lot of the atmosphere here has been result of "old school" RA members vs. the newer "post-CR apocalypse" gang. Sometimes there still seems to be an us vs. them feeling, even though it's been well over a year since all of that went down. I definitely appreciate the opinions of those who have been running for a long time, regardless of whether they were on RA since the early days or made the move over from CR. It's nice to have a variety of viewpoints and the opportunity to figure things out based upon more knowledge and a variety of experiences, rather than less. SRL and Nobby have both been good about calling people out on things. Sometimes it's kind of fun to sit back and watch them take others to task. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I suspect you're pretty right about bodies varying a lot Zoomie. I have certainly seen that people vary a LOT with how soon they can run after they eat, and whether they can run after eating meat, and how they tolerate gatorade, and how much they crave salt. Or whether they can tolerate jellybeans. Or oranges.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh...jelly beans. When I was training for my first HM I think I used it as an excuse to eat mass quantities of Jelly Bellys (not the sport beans, just the regular ones) during my long training runs. I'm sure I ingested far more calories than I burned. Tongue I don't find the thought of oranges appealing during runs or races, but my best friend is a FIEND for them. I also found out the hard way that I can't stomach Clif Bars mid-run even at the easiest pace, but I was craving potato chips something fierce during my marathon, so I've even given thought about trying to eat one of those single portion packs of Pringles during a few training runs to see how they sit with me. My only concern is the fat...I wonder if that would make its way through me too fast. Dead Plus I'm not sure how to transport that--it's not particularly compact unless I crushed up a stack in a baggie. Gatorade has never bothered my stomach, but that's another thing that my best friend can't stomach at all. She and I ran the same first marathon...she on even less training than I and no electrolyte replacement. She finished comfortably in under 4:30 with no cramping issues and hardly broke a sweat...I was soaked. Running really is like one long series of experiments and nothing seems to work the same for any 2 people under the same conditions.

~ Sarah Kay

Hawt and sexy

Carrying capsules? I get the little ziploc bags at Rite-Aide. It's a total ultra runner trick. They keep the mini bags next to the supplies for cutting pills in half in pharmacies. They are like one or two dollars for 100 bags. Safety pin them to your skirt/belt, or put them in the key pocket. On long runs I do on trails, I have been known to put 3-6 pills, a diabetic lancet (for any blisters) and a bandaid in a tiny bag. The pills and such weight so little that I do not notice them when pinned on my skirt, they do bounce and it is not a bad idea to put tape over the area on the bag you plan to put the safety pin thru if you go that route. And no, just like koolaide, once mixed well, no grit. I had super salty sweat when I started back up running again. Now, not so much. I don't know of training changed my body or age. I do not miss the salt pools under my eyes tho...

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

Iron stuff. From thislinky: "Iron and intense exercise: Many men and women who engage in regular, intense exercise such as jogging, competitive swimming, and cycling have marginal or inadequate iron status [1,81-85]. Possible explanations include increased gastrointestinal blood loss after running and a greater turnover of red blood cells. Also, red blood cells within the foot can rupture while running. For these reasons, the need for iron may be 30% greater in those who engage in regular intense exercise [1]. " Source cited for above: Institute of Medicine. Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium and Zinc. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001. Running Times is always good. Click here. When taking iron you need to consider taking calcium as is is needed to absorb iron. Sometimes just calcium helps if your diet is already high in iron, but since you have no stress fractures lately, I am guessing your calcium is ok. Be aware that once I start citing sources, I either link to the thread or just copy/paste my post when I would bring this info into the gsp. I am slowly but surely bringing the good stuff here so I don't have to look through the almost non-existent CR archives any more.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, according to that RT article (BTW, I just got my first issue a few weeks back. Very nice magazine. I hope Rodale doesn't turn it into another RW) many runners take 30-60mg of iron/day to increase stores. I know my multi-vit only has 18mg. I've had my cholesterol checked a couple of times over the years, but I can't remember when my ferritin levels were last checked. Maybe when I was preggers? I think I will try an extra iron supplement for a while and see what that does. I know it takes time to increase levels.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy moly...I have been reading a bit online re: running anemia and I had no clue how common it is. Wow. I think I may actually call my PCP and see if I can get in this week to have my levels checked, just to have a baseline. Perhaps I can have my cholesterol checked, too. I think it's been at least a year since I had that looked at. It's always freaky low (moreso since I started running), so it's kind of interesting to see where things are.

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Had some lathargy issues a couple of months past. Started taking more iron and calcium. Make sure you read up on your supplements as they are not all created equal. Problem corrected itself after that. Never new that pounding the pavement had an adverse effect on iron stores. Good luck Zoom.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks for the feedback, Norm. I'm glad to hear that it helped you. This is what I bought: Ferrous Gluconate was listed among recommended iron supplements and the dosage was lower than all of the other forms Walgreens had (plus cheapest). I don't want to overdo it, just add enough to see if it makes a difference. I figure if I see no change in 3-4 weeks time that there is something else at play. I did read last night that anemia can cause muscle cramping and night leg cramps, though. I had a bit of an "aha moment" when I saw that. Yesterday I also had my longest run since last Fall and drank 20oz of regular Gatorade with 4 Endurolytes capsules mixed in (also popped one capsule before heading out the door). No cramping. Not even a hint of calf twinges (the same mileage last Summer/Fall would have had my calves starting to really tighten-up towards the end of the run). The real test will be once the weather is warmer and my volume of sweat increases.

~ Sarah Kay

Hawt and sexy

I found mine at Target. It's ferrous sulfate and only 28 mg. I take it every other day when I am above 60 mpw or so, on alternating days I take 2 calcium fortified Tums. I did not know about the leg cramp thing relating to iron. Since my night cramps show up in the summer while I am eating a ton of tomatoes and drinking tomato juice or Gatorade, I always assumed it was the potassium. Since, cutting out the bananas worked during this time, I never gave it much thought. Interesting. We must be careful, this is starting to become more like a CR thread. Shocked Big grin

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I found mine at Target. It's ferrous sulfate and only 28 mg. I take it every other day when I am above 60 mpw or so, on alternating days I take 2 calcium fortified Tums. I did not know about the leg cramp thing relating to iron. Since my night cramps show up in the summer while I am eating a ton of tomatoes and drinking tomato juice or Gatorade, I always assumed it was the potassium. Since, cutting out the bananas worked during this time, I never gave it much thought. Interesting. We must be careful, this is starting to become more like a CR thread. Shocked Big grin
                                Evil grin Yeah, the whole mg thing is confusing. 240mg of ferrous gluconate translates into 27mg of elemental iron, which is the number that really matters, apparently. I will probably wait a month or so and then have my PCP check my levels. Once I'm good I will probably alternate days, too, since getting too much iron isn't a good thing. Iron does a # on my stomach and digestion, too, which is the main reason I stopped taking it in my 20s, IIRC. I don't have a hard time cutting bananas...that's one of those foods that I can take or leave. Every once in a while I will crave one, then about halfway through remember that I don't really care for them. I love 'em in pie or bread, though.

~ Sarah Kay