Marathon Training and Discussions

long run? more miles? (Read 681 times)

I am running my first marathon on May 3rd. (Flying Pig) I have always heard the long run is the most important. Now, I hear mpw is the most important. Should it be both? Should a first timer just keep increasing miles each week until the taper? What about cut back weeks?

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

Giants Fan

I think mpw AND long run are both equally important. However, the long run is important because its time on your feet, running, getting your body used to that and to using the appropriate fuel source (not to mention practice time for what you are going to use for fuel, water, clothes, etc). That is the time to "try out" anything so that for race day you are ready. I believe no less than 2 20 milers should be done, however, that is my personal opinion. For my first marathon I did up to 2 22 milers and felt I was jprepared for the distance. I would do no more than two weeks in a row of long runs, my particular schedule is one long Sunday followed by a more intermediate Sunday (for example, one Sunday of 18 miler, then next week only 12. Good luck! Do your research and only do what you are comfortable with!!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

...---...

I agree Midwest - The general rule of thumb, from the great running sages who have advised me in the past, has been pile on the miles where the key weekly work out is the long run. I had enough endurance for my first marathon after one 20 miler 3 weeks out (of course I also did a few 18 milers in the weeks prior) and kept my pace realistic. As a result, I didn't hit the wall and felt I could have gone another mile if I HAD to. But that's just me. Good luck.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Thanks for the advice! I was going to use a Hal Higdon program, but joined the local running store training group. Thank goodness I did. There is no way I would have gone outside this winter. However, the group runs have not been as long as HH. So, I just added when I felt comfortable. With 9 weeks to go I feel great. If my body stays healthy I plan to get a couple 18's and/or 20's. One of each is on the schedule. I just filled out my registration. Had to take several deep breaths before marking the MARATHON box.

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

Imminent Catastrophe

Agree on the importance of the long run, at least 18-20 miles. You'll find out all sorts of things that you wouldn't on shorter runs. Fuel, water, clothes and endurance will all be exposed if there are any weaknesses. BTW enjoy the Pig, it's a really nice race and the city really supports it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You'll find out all sorts of things that you wouldn't on shorter runs. Fuel, water, clothes and endurance ...
              Maybe even get to have fun with chafing, if you're lucky Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Since you are running the Pig. Make sure you get in hills. If you are local, the Heart Mini would be a good race (15k) Its as bad or worse hill-wise than anything in the Pig. The worst of the hills are early, and its easy to let adrenaline and all the excitement of the day get you out too fast--in this race its a killer. There are some sneaky hills late, and a long highway run that killed me in '06. I was cruising until the late hills, and just crashed...because I didnt properly pace. Now if I could only follow my advice..