Marathon Training and Discussions

Excited again (Read 374 times)

Go Pre!

Well, I didn't want to tempt fate, so I quietly put in 2 weeks of fairly solid running without 'talking about it' too much Smile The past 2 weeks is a comeback of sorts after a 2 week layoff from what seems to be another flare up of ITBS ...in the other leg this time. It jumped like a flea after both legs felt fine for a while. (are we done with this yet?!?!?!) I promise (I really do) to keep up my new strict regiment of proper IT band stretching and proper warm up and warm down. Unfortunately we are only 14 weeks away from my next marathon, Ottawa, May 25th, but at least I feel I have enough base to start training hard again. This week's tempo run felt very good. So there, that is something to get excited about! Dave
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*fingers & toes crossed*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hi Daddyo, that's awesome! I am new to this group, but planning to run my first marathon in May. I was just curious what you have been doing for your ITBand. Mine occasionally feels sore and I want to prevent any serious problems. I have fond some stretches and exercises, but I was curious to see what has worked for you.

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Go Pre!

Do all of your leg stretches, religiously, they all seem to havesome sort of connection to IT band, whther at the hip or at the knee. I am walking 5 minutes before and after each run, and I have been doing strengthening exercises which are helpful to IT Band issues. More info here http://www.trifuel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7715 This page has also some good info http://exrx.net/Kinesiology/Inflexibilities.html#anchor13320380 Did a 12 miler yesterday. longest since last Marathon...felt good, and still feeling good today! Smile Good luck
            Did a 12 miler yesterday. longest since last Marathon...felt good, and still feeling good today! Smile
            Woo Hoo Daddyo!!! Good to have you back!
              Dave: Glad to hear things are going better. I would like to hear how your spring marathon goes. I still feel badly about not meeting up with the other RA'ers at the Columbus M. I am fortunate to be just under 10 weeks for Boston this year. Running this winter has been pretty tough. We have our first 19 miler this Saturday....hopefully the weather will take a break from the cold. I have frozen some things that are not meant to be frozen.... i knowvyou will make Boston qualify some day....because its your dream and you are motivated. My only comment on injuries is make sure you are in really good shoes all the time. I have gone thru two pair of Asics 2120's since Thanksgiving. I have been relatively injury free all of my running career. I also only weigh about 165...If not running, I would be about 178-180. Keep to the plan! Orange Man

Orange Man and Eric.

Dave: Glad to hear things are going better. I would like to hear how your spring marathon goes. I still feel badly about not meeting up with the other RA'ers at the Columbus M. I am fortunate to be just under 10 weeks for Boston this year. Running this winter has been pretty tough. We have our first 19 miler this Saturday....hopefully the weather will take a break from the cold. I have frozen some things that are not meant to be frozen.... i know you will Boston qualify some day....because its your dream and you are motivated. My only comment on injuries is make sure you are in really good shoes all the time. I have gone thru two pair of Asics 2120's since Thanksgiving. I have been relatively injury free all of my running career. I also only weigh about 165...If not running, I would be about 178-180. Keep to the plan! Orange Man

Orange Man and Eric.