Marathon Training and Discussions

I have a confession... (Read 539 times)

I never purposefully run slow. I.JUST.CAN'T. I know they say that your long runs should be a minute or so slower than your normal pace but for some reason...I just can't do that. My only slow runs are because of hills. I guess I'm afraid that if I start out slow and keep going slow, that I won't be able to go as fast as I want. I'm also usually under the gun...I feel like I need to keep my running time at a minimum and need to rush back home so dh can get to work. During the week, I have to do school with the kids and I babysit another little so I always feel rushed. But like yesterday, I had all the time in the world and I still just ran. I only purposefully run super fast one day a week...and then not always. Any tips? can someone talk me down? I usually feel great after my runs...even my long runs. The next day I feel tired but I think that's to be expected. BTW, I am training to BQ this year. I only have a few minutes to shave off but I worry that by training slow now, I won't be able to meet my goal.

Jennifer mm#1231

I actually have "slow" running music on my ipod - stuff that's not quite as up-tempo. I found it helped.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Wingz

Professional Noob

finding a running partner who's slower than you might help... you may need to each hold the end of a 4 ft cord... Evil grin

Roads were made for journeys...

finding a running partner who's slower than you might help... you may need to each hold the end of a 4 ft cord... Evil grin
          hehehehe. that's probably a good idea.

Jennifer mm#1231

I actually have "slow" running music on my ipod - stuff that's not quite as up-tempo. I found it helped.
            good idea! I've just recently started adding a few of those to my Ipod. eh. It's not working yet. I think I need more. Maybe Beethoven or Mozart? Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

madness baby

Come up to LA and run with me. . .You'll be all set with a slow easy long run. I've perfected it!! Big grin Also, if I feel my heart rate going up a bit too high, I'll put on a slow song that I can't help but sing (or hum if people are around). Like Jack Johnson or Norah Jones, and that singing forces me to catch my breath a bit.
              deb
                I love Jack Johnson...I have his Curious George cd on my ipod and I sing to myself the entire time. Clowning around Jack is hawt. Shy I try to keep my hr in the 140's but it usually ends up around 150. Which is much better than when every run was 160-170. Shocked Maybe I'll go for lower on the hr? where do you keep your hr? According to my garmin, my zone 3 is 127-146... my avg hr for my long run yesterday was 151...oops!

Jennifer mm#1231

madness baby

I love Jack Johnson...I have his Curious George cd on my ipod and I sing to myself the entire time. Clowning around Jack is hawt. Shy where do you keep your hr?
                  Yes, good old Jack Johnson. Slows me down a bit! I don't have a heart rate monitor. I can just feel it get up there, and sometimes I'll stop and check it on my watch, but it's not too accurate I'm sure. I don't think I'll ever own one, even though it might be good for me. Oh well, it's probably the same reason I don't do speed workouts yet . . I'm lazy in so many ways! Smile
                  deb
                    LOL, I don't really do speed workouts either. If I end up running super fast one day I'm so excited to be able to log it as a speed day! Blush My graphs usually just look like, easy easy easy easy long easy easy easy...you get the idea. I force myself to run hills just to break up the monotony of my graph. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

madness baby

If I end up running super fast one day I'm so excited to be able to log it as a speed day!
                      This is exactly what I do! It just happens so rarely. . . Wink
                      deb

Go Pre!

I have a hard time running slow too. Not that I run very fast, but my pace doesn't change much from run type to run type. I have gotten better lately by breaking up my long runs into thirds and starting slow for the first third, building up to medium pace the 2nd third and finishing as fast as comfortably possible.
                          I'm guilty as well. I'm not terribly fast, but I always seem end up at the same pace. Regardless if I'm running 3 miles or 10, I'm within about 15 seconds of my "normal" pace. I have a GPS and even with that, if I purposely attempt to go slower, I'll let my mind drift a bit and I'm back at my comfortable speed. I think it's going to really take a toll on me physically when I get into the 20 mile range.
                          Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
                            I have a GPS and even with that, if I purposely attempt to go slower, I'll let my mind drift a bit and I'm back at my comfortable speed.
                            that's exactly what I do!

Jennifer mm#1231

muse_runner

keep running.

Life's a beach, you got it right girl... try to keep your HR under 146 for all of your regular runs. Smile i'm doing that now too. i have been doing it all along but i'm being more careful now than before.
                              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Prophet!

I love Jack Johnson...I have his Curious George cd on my ipod and I sing to myself the entire time. Clowning around Jack is hawt. Shy
                                Have you folks listen to Tristan Prettyman ? dubbed as the female jack johnson...i dig her style and her music, super mellow. Speaking of Jack Johnson, we'll be going to see him at the Kokua Festival, a fundraising music festival he started a few years back. This will be our second year going, the first year our son fell asleep right when Jack came on (he was only a year old then), now i'm sure he'll be up when comes on.