Marathon Training and Discussions

Tapering 101...make that 102 (Read 687 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

The difference is that's not really my monkey. And that's really his dog.
    This is the monkey (macaque, actually) you should fear. They are really scary: BTW Jake, my dog is smiling.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

BTW Jake, my dog is smiling.
      I smile too ... when I'm about to eat something tasty.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

I smile too ... when I'm about to eat something tasty.
        Not to worry, it was only the FedEx guy.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Go Pre!

Sh!t, that roasted corn looks delicious!
          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

This is the monkey (macaque, actually) you should fear. They are really scary:
            From personal experience, they like to eat side view mirrors off of cars, in addition to roasted corn. No

A Saucy Wench

See....rather than starting a new thread about how to properly taper and risk having photos of comet cars, astronomy, cleaner et al, I decided to LOOK first. And I get pictures of monkeys. Sheesh. Big grin Reviewing what Blaine wrote. I definitely think a moderate taper is for me - last year I felt like a slug with a full 3 week taper. I had to back off of speedwork in august for various reasons and I think I will be reintroducing it this week and then "taper" starts next week.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Purdey

Self anointed title

Not really planning much of a taper at all for my 05 Oct marathon.... I'll let you know how that goes! Might try the JK hydration strategy from mile 23 onwards... sounds like a good idea. Could even follow it with a chaser.

Giants Fan

Ennay what are you planning for taper then? I am cutting my mileage this week, but really just normal cut back week in program. The last two weeks are where mileage starts to cut back more and more. I can't wait though, I'm dead on my feet and my quads are killing me!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ennay what are you planning for taper then? I am cutting my mileage this week, but really just normal cut back week in program. The last two weeks are where mileage starts to cut back more and more. I can't wait though, I'm dead on my feet and my quads are killing me!
                    That sounds like what I'm doing. I keep saying that my taper starts the day after my last 20 miler (ie a week from today), but it really doesn't start until the following week. Praise Jeebuz! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Perfesser said 'macaque'. Heh heh heh.

A Saucy Wench

I'm actually still planning a pretty heavy week next week "first week of taper" similar to last week, then a step down to a normal step back week (which I havent had much of - I had sick weeks ) I'm considering a 5K the week before the marathon just to stretch out my legs and make MP feel slow.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Go Pre!

hmmm, I am not tapering much for my first one, but 2nd one is 3 weeks later and 3rd one is 2 weeks after that. Then the 4th is Vegas, 4 weeks after that. So basically, the time resting between them will be sort of like tapering.

Giants Fan

Wow, you people make me fee like a wuss! Alright...are we all posting how we did? This is going to be interesting for time (although I know I'll probably be the slowest)

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

Wow, you people make me fee like a wuss! Alright...are we all posting how we did? This is going to be interesting for time (although I know I'll probably be the slowest)
                              uh...no, you'll be faster than me I bet.

Giants Fan

Ennay, Which race are you running again?

Charles Schulz