Marathon Training and Discussions

Anyone else cutting back or taking a break? (Read 435 times)

shonan marathon, girl

Just wanted to say that I am so busy with work that I cannot train due to the time involved in building a new bakery kitchen. It is also so humid here in Japan. They announced over the loud speakers the other day here warning everyone to not to exercise during the hottest time of day. Is anyone else in the same situation? I think it's okay to stop sometimes and take a break. I have a HIM (half Ironman) in early September so my training will start again in August. I just plan to take my time and enjoy the race, not worry about my time. I have been thinking about Lifesabeach, how are you doing?

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

va

I can't cut back now. Training for my first marathon in November. Just starting to ramp up. Will do 37 this week, including a 15 miler on Saturday... As far as the heat, its been fairly comfortable here in the early morning ~6 AM. Also, there is always the treadmill in the air conditioned gym...
      db7

I am tyring to decide what my next event will be. I am running a 10 K in two weeks and am looking at running a half in Sept or Oct. Until then just having fun running when I can. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

I cut back last week due to breaking my pinky toe last Monday night. I ran two short runs at the end of the week and they went ok. I hope to get back on schedule this week.
          http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
            My body has made me drop back. I took a week off due to a groin/abdomin issue and then two weeks after that my body just said "thats enough". I went back to a "Novice" marathon training plan. I just can't keep up with the 35-45 mile weeks. If I want to make it to my October marathon I need to take it easy. It sucks when you can barely move after a 12 mile run. Getting old...

Go Pre!

I am in Arizona on vacation so a cutback was inevitale..as is the increase in calories! Good vacation though! We are in the mountains too so the 3 runs I have done are at 6000ft...I thought I was getting used to it until I measured/drove what I thought was 29K and realized it was only 26!

shonan marathon, girl

I have a tendency to do too much exercise sometimes. When I got sick with a cold, I realized that I exercised for longer than 2 weeks straight with no rest days. It also seems that I get a pain or warning signal that I need to cut back usually 3 or 4 weeks before a marathon. I too have a marathon on November 25th, but I am going to work on building up my mileage again slowly. With the hot humid weather, I finally started getting up at 5am to go running on the beach. As db7 said, have fun running - this is the most important thing to never forget. Slow and Steady, sometimes 35-40 miles per week constantly can be too much - for me too! I think running just 26 miles per week is perfectly fine. There are people out there who that can't even walk one block or run 400 meters. So don't be too hard on yourself!! Just a little mileage makes a big difference in the long run. Listen to your body.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Burninated Peasant

I had an unplanned break last week when my wife had our second baby. I should have learned from the first one that this would cause an interruption in my mileage, but for some reason I thought I'd be able to keep it up this time. Oh well, hopefully I'll be back to my normal running self in a couple of weeks. I don't know when I'll be back to my normal sleeping self.
                    I had an unplanned break last week when my wife had our second baby. I should have learned from the first one that this would cause an interruption in my mileage, but for some reason I thought I'd be able to keep it up this time. Oh well, hopefully I'll be back to my normal running self in a couple of weeks. I don't know when I'll be back to my normal sleeping self.
                    Congratulations!! That's something definitely worth missing miles over.
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                    db7

Congrats Michael!! DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Congrats on the new baby Michael. TIme to get out the two seater jogging stroller... Big grin
                          Congrats, Michael! Best reason ever to cut back on the miles! Hope all is well with your wife and new little one.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Congrats on #2! Who needs sleep anyway?

shonan marathon, girl

To make matters worse, I hit my little toe on the leg of a chair in my house. It hurt but not that bad, so I just thought it was a bruise. Then I went to the doctor's on Friday and the xray showed that my toe was broken in middle. I had tears in my eyes when the doctor told me his diagnosis. He said I wouldn't be able to do the 2.5k ocean swim at Enoshima this weekend, nor would I be able to do the Sado half ironman in early September. The time necessary for healing 1-2 months! This year, I am going to take a break from racing, and take it easy. The day of the Enoshima ocean swim race, I got a call from my sister in South Carolina that my mother was admitted to the emergency room for a severe infection. What I want to say to everyone is don't push it to race when you don't feel like it or have some sense of apprehension. My bread kitchen is finally set up and it is time for me to concentrate on baking, not triathlon training. There's always another race, and another chance next year!