Marathon Training and Discussions

Final long run down - Let the predictions begin (Read 780 times)

Dave

So I'm now officially three weeks out from my race (National Marathon on 21 March). For my final 20 miler, I ran it as a fast finish LR, 10 at an easy run pace, and 10 at MP - 10-15 seconds. (GPS upload is in my log with HR data for those so inclined, here: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/4dbdba379e334a6e82901c7f1581739a/workouts/af57594653154788abbb92cd3465e658 ) Overall, I wish my mileage had been more consistent but I was able to get 3 x 20 milers as well as a handful of mid-week medium long runs. Two questions for the group: 1. What would you recommend for race strategy and pacing given my last LR? My goal had been 3:30 but McMillan has pointed to as fast as a 3:25. 2. Running schedule for the next 3 weeks? Less taper because of the week mileage? What distance next weekend (2 weeks out)?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think that is an impressive long run fast second half. I'll guess sub 3:30. And good luck.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

A Saucy Wench

I'd start out at 3:30 pace and try to pick it up after 18-20.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Or go out at 3:25 pace and pick it up at 26-28.

Imminent Catastrophe

I'd start out at 3:30 pace and try to pick it up after 18-20.
            +1

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dave

Thanks for the responses. I think starting at 3:30 pace to 20 rings true with me. I may risk a spectacular crash at the end but at least I'll know where I stand by the end of it. Big grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Dave, you'll do great with that strategy. Your long runs have been at a very nice pace so knock this one out of the park. I'll be doing the half so maybe I'll see you there!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                Ride 112 miles.
                Run 26.2 miles.
                Then brag for the rest of your life.
                -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Purdey

Self anointed title

+1 for going out at 3:30 pace - pick it up at 20 miles if you still feel able to - if you don't, at least you know you shouldn't have gone out any faster! For most people ... McMillan's marathon predictions are a little quick.

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks for the responses. I think starting at 3:30 pace to 20 rings true with me. I may risk a spectacular crash at the end but at least I'll know where I stand by the end of it. Big grin
                    Dave - i'll come get you and taunt you to the finish if it will help!!
                    ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Dave, the Reston Runners have a tent near the start line, you are welcome to hang with us before, after the race. You can store your bag there as well. Even better than "The Tree" at MCM Smile I hope to see you tomorrow as you knock this outa the park! Kevin

Swim 2.4 miles.
                      Ride 112 miles.
                      Run 26.2 miles.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Kev, your running club link in your sig is broken -- it says www/ where it should say www. Took me a couple minutes to figure it out...

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Thanks, it is fixed now Blush

Swim 2.4 miles.
                          Ride 112 miles.
                          Run 26.2 miles.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

PS: Didn't get a chance to meet you today -- saw a guy running in the full with Kevin on his bib that reminded me a bit of your photo, but as that wasn't even the right distance, clearly not....

Dave

Predictions are overrated. Learned a lot. Full race report in the main forum.

dgb2n@yahoo.com