Marathon Training and Discussions

How is everyone's training / planning going???? (Read 593 times)

3 weeks down. When I started training, my "comfortable" pace was around 10:30 min/mi. I was excited the first time I had a sub 30 min 3 mile run. Now it seems my pace is closer to just over 9 min/mi. Great improvement in a short time. I am very concious about not over training, and have to be mindful to slow down. I honestly am starting to crave running, which for me sounds silly, since I have never really liked running.... hmm, who'd a thought??
    Scout7

Well, my doc said she would put me on the treadmill today. YAY!!! First time running in about 3 weeks.
        Well, only 6 weeks away from race day. Been training for about 9 weeks now and starting to feel in quite good shape. Managed to do over 70km last week, which is the most i´ve ever done in my life. I also ran a 1/2 marathon a couple of weeks ago and knocked 8 mins off my PB(1:40:01) Smile. I´ve got a couple of 32km runs to fit in before the race and then we should be ready for the big day. I´m hoping for around 3 hours 45mins. How is everyone else´s training going?

Go Pre!

I am in the same boat, my marathon is May 27 - and after today's 18 miler, I am ready to re-register for the half marathon instead! OK, I will stick to it, but I am really really looking forward to tomorrow's day off! Dave
            don´t give in just yet. I know the long runs are LONG and take up too much time. It´ll all be worth it when you cross the finish line. Paul

Go Pre!

The time is not an issue actually...I am loving the long runs and 'seeing' the city I have lived in for almost 40 years. I have finally seen the trails that run through the city that all of the cyclists (and some runners) have always told me about. I have gotten a chance to listen to all of the music I never seem to get around to. I guess the hard part is knowing I am going to have to look forward to just finishing now whereas before I was training towards 3:45-4:00. I was a bit disheartened to realize it took me 3 hours to get through the 18 miles and I was digging deep to make it home. Hopefully the remaining 7 weeks to prepare will help improve on how I feel about the distance increases. I may take 2 days off after this long run...Does it mean I am 'slipping' if I need to take an extra 'un-scheduled' day off?
                no, take a day off! Find your power food and fill up. Maybe a little rest will be just what you need to make it over the hump? I find that it works for me. I'm not saying ONE word about my training. I totally don't believe in jinxing but I'm still not sayin one way or another. 8 Ball ILYK on June 5th how my training went. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

I guess the hard part is knowing I am going to have to look forward to just finishing now whereas before I was training towards 3:45-4:00. I was a bit disheartened to realize it took me 3 hours to get through the 18 miles and I was digging deep to make it home...I may take 2 days off after this long run...Does it mean I am 'slipping' if I need to take an extra 'un-scheduled' day off?
                  Any completion of a marathon is a HUGE accomplishment, no matter the time it takes. If this is your first, know that your body will adjust to the longer distances the more you run them. Amazingly, our bodies learn to adapt very well. This is one of the reasons I am now trying to keep doing marathon almost continuously, so as to not lose the mileage buildup. About the extra day off -your not slipping...listening to your body is important; but also remember that getting the legs/body moving will speed the recovery, so maybe try to walk instead of run.
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Go Pre!

Thanks fo rthe words of encouragement and advice. I felt good thid morning but held off anyway. the sleep in was nice Smile I am going to run an easy 3.5 miles to the pool after work and maybe do a bit of upper body strengthening. Then maybe I'll switch my Wednesday Hills to Thursday and do an easy 5 miles tomorrow instead. It is amazing how we recover....today I can walk down the stairs without fear of falling down again! Dave
                      Thanks Daddyo for pacing me! Plan on running my first marathon at Grandmas (June 16). Goal 1 to finish, goal 2 is the 4 hour mark. Ran my first 18 miler this Sunday, and felt the same way. I did a few miles on the stationary bike the next day, and I felt that it helped the recovery process. Have a 20 miler scheduled for this weekend, and will see how that goes.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

I may take 2 days off after this long run...Does it mean I am 'slipping' if I need to take an extra 'un-scheduled' day off?
                        Its not ´slipping´ if you take an extra day off. It´ll make you more refreshed and maybe stronger. I always take an extra day off here and there, if my legs are feeling a little tired or sore. Next time you do an 18 miler it wont seem so bad or so long.

Go Pre!

YAY! This mornings 6 miler was great, felt perfect allthe way through., even sprinting the last half mile. The whole run seemed to take about 10 minutes! Can't wait til this weekend's 20 miler!
                            Training update, 10 1/2 weeks down. Yesterday did my first 8 mi midweek. Awesome run! sub 9 min/mi pace. Now the distances are getting tough due to the time commitment. Supposed to do 16 this weekend, but also have Navy Reserves, so thinking about doing 12. Have my HM in a week and a half, so don't want to overdue it. First 2-3 miles of each run is rough, but once I get warmed up, gets easier (spoken not easy). Have almost 200 miles on my shoes, so went out and bought a second pair. Stepped up from the Saucony Hurricane 8 to Hurricane 9. I'll give em a try tonight and hopefully get same results.

Go Pre!

Did hills today, dreading them slightly after the 18 miler last Sunday but miraculously the human body does recover! 8 400m hills with 3k warm up and 4k warm down...felt like a pro Smile

Go Pre!

This week went much better. I did my 20 miler without much of a hitch. The differences were, I got a better sleep last night and ate much better yesterday (We had a bit of an Easter get together at my brothers last week!) My pace was quite about 10 seconds per mile better too. Nutrition: 7:00 AM 2 pks instant oatmeal +2 pcs of toast a bit after that. Coffee. Water 9:30 AM 1 Cliff bar. Water 10:00: Started running, consumed 3 Cliff Shots and nibbled occasionally on another Cliff Bar during the run. Consumed 3 8oz travel bottles of watery gatorade. Food consumtion seems to have gone really well today - I felt fine throught the whole run (a tiny bit hungry at points but not too bad) Dave