Marathon Training and Discussions

What is a good schedule to follow? (Read 1005 times)

Treadmill Addict

So, I'm new to marathon running. First one is in May. I've done a half and a bunch of 5k's and 10k's. My goal time in May will be around 4:30 I think. Right now I'm running around 20-25 miles per week, with weights in there too. I plan on working up to 35 mile weeks, but I honestly don't know what a good marathon training schedule is. I read on here people talk about certain long runs, training calendar schedules, etc. Can you share with me what a good training schedule is, with details about how many miles per week, should I do the same miles each day with long runs, how long are the long runs, and how to taper before the race? I know this is such a basic question. I've googled it, but only found a few examples, and I figure I'd ask in here, to get the good info coming from people who I can ask more questions and clarify. thanks!!!!

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

A Saucy Wench

I think for a first marathon hal higdon is a decent base program. Google it, it's available free online.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I second Hal Higdon (http://halhigdon.com) for the beginning marathoner. Now... that said... Hal has a variety of schedules out there... two beginner schedules, two intermediate, etc. Those beginner schedules are designed to get you to finish line, hopefully upright. But that's about it. You won't find any speedwork of note unless/until you peak into his Intermediate II. And, believe me, getting to the finish line is a wonderful thing, but "hopefully upright" might not sound so great. You might want to consider working up to a wee bit more mileage during the marathon training (40-50ish). But if you've been running 25 consistently and can bump that up into the 30s, I think you'll find that you can handle one of Hal's two Intermediate schedules. There are approximately 1,000 other schedules too. And if you start diving into lots of them, after awhile, your head will be swimming. So tell yourself: I will pick by date x. Pick. Then start. Smile GOOD LUCK.

Oh Mighty Wing

I say pick a beginner plan and then figure out how to make it fun! Join a group or do something that will help you meet others and run with others doing the same marathon!

Treadmill Addict

Yeah, "hopefully upright" isn't my goal. I'd like to finish in about 4:30. I've got over 5 months, I should be able to improve quite a bit between now and then. I'll go check out the Hal Higdon one. Thanks!!! (And I'm sure I'll be back with questions!)

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

...---...

Hal's beginner 1 got a buddy of mine through his first - he finished with no major issues on a hilly course and in about the same time you're looking to do. I followed the Runner's World Beginner Marathon plan (10 running coaches, including Higdon, collaborated on this schedule) which worked pretty well for me on the same course. Neither of us felt under prepared.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Beginner all over again

Yeah, "hopefully upright" isn't my goal. I'd like to finish in about 4:30. I've got over 5 months, I should be able to improve quite a bit between now and then. I'll go check out the Hal Higdon one. Thanks!!! (And I'm sure I'll be back with questions!)

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ 

Marathon training plans free online there

Queen of 3rd Place

I think her five months were up a while ago.

Ex runner

Beginner all over again

hahaha    ha at me

Where did I click on that old link...hmm...