Marathon Training and Discussions

First marathon 5 weeks away, getting weary (Read 38 times)

BigDaddyJoe

OK, I'm training for my first marathon, using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan.  I have 5 weeks to go.  The past week I've gotten really weary.  Even my short runs have become harder and super slow.  I'm starting to get nervous and concerned.  I don't feel like getting up early to do them.  I've pretty much stuck to the schedule, but a couple of days I pushed the snooze button a couple too many times and had to cut the runs short because I had to get the kids ready for school and myself ready for work.  I've done all of the long runs on the weekend though.  Is it normal to go through this?  Should I be concerned?  Am I not ready for the marathon (I can still switch down to the half marathon, which isn't a problem for me)?  Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

beat

Break on through

Yes, it's normal to get weary during marathon training.  Hopefully, it's not getting progressively worse each time out there, and hopefully, you're getting enough sleep.  A few slower or shorter runs than scheduled won't hurt, and you may bounce back with some more energy after a rest day or easy day. Make sure your easy days are truly easy.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

BigDaddyJoe

I guess I just had a rough week.  I was having trouble with getting enough sleep after the clocks changed.  I just did 18 miles this past Saturday, and finished it in about the same amount of time as the 16 miles I did the previous Saturday, and felt better after also.  Only 2 more weeks until my taper, I think I'll make it.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

beat

Break on through

I'm glad to hear that.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."