Marathon Training and Discussions

New here, seeking feedback. (Read 321 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Been running for 3 years now, but this is my first really consistent year, I've done a little over 1200 mi so far this year and (mostly) loving it! No aches, pains, injury issues thus far. A bunch of friends convinced me last spring to run a marathon which is coming up on Jan 11 (Disneyworld). So I've put in as good a base as I could and stay in one piece, with weekly long runs typically 10 - 12 mi (up to 15), a weekly medium-long run of typically 8, and now it's time to start ratcheting it up. I realize I'm a little light on mileage for this, but it's too late now! Tongue Yes, I'm skeered! Shocked To complicate things, I'm running most of these runs with another lady who just re-started running a month ago, which constrains me a little bit (OTOH, maybe it will keep me from overdoing it). Here's my program picking up from next week, weekly runs are listed from low to high mileage rather than in order of appearance. I may add a 6th weekly easy run from time to time as my schedule allows. I cobbled this together based on various other programs I've looked at, information from the forums here at RA, and a feel for my own abilities. 4 4 6 8 14 4 4 6 8 10 4 4 7 9 16 4 4 7 8 12 4 4 7 9 18 4 4 7 8 12 4 4 8 8 20 4 4 7 8 12 4 4 8 8 20 4 4 6 6 12 4 3 3 8 2 2 26.2 If anyone sees any glaring problems, I'd love to hear about it. Arla

Ex runner

Kimmie

Coming from someone who runs marathons on low weekly mileage, take my advice for what it's worth: I think your plan looks solid and your mileage base is fine too. 1200 miles so far this year is good. I guess you will have to think about what your goal is for this first marathon. Most people will tell you to just set a goal to finish and if you get those 20s in, go out conservatively then I think you will definitely finish. If you wanted to set a time goal, then you would need to be more specific in this plan, adding in some speedwork. But that's not generally recommended for first timers. But at the very least, you could try to make one run a week, a tempo run. maybe you could start with your training partner and then speed up. Good luck. I've never run Disney, but I've heard great things about it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks for the feedback Kimmie, your log is pretty similar to mine, you're a bit ahead in weekly mileage. I like the idea of adding a weekly tempo run. This year I did a few impromptu tempo-ish runs and some hill workouts, but nothing very structured - but those are a lot of fun to do so maybe I'll try some more just for kicks. My goals are 1) to finish without getting hurt, 2) to learn something for the next time 3) to have fun! I figured there would be so much going on at Disney with entertainment, big crowds getting in the way and all that it would be easy to just enjoy and not try for a particular time. After all, Disney has a 7 hour finishing window! That being said, I'm thinking that the neighborhood of 4:45 would be nice. But I'm trying not to think about that too much. Big grin Arla

Ex runner