Marathon Training and Discussions

When does long run window close before marathon? (Read 223 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've not gone out for a long run for a month and a half -- lazy, too busy, distracted by local races, feet got tired, whatever. Race is Oct 25 weekend. * That is a month away, so I'm pretty sure I've got time for one more long run - do I have time for two, if I get my carcass out and do a long run this weekend? * What if I don't manage it this weekend -- when does my window for long run close?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Giants Fan

I would say by the weekend of the 11th (is that three weeks before?) or not at all.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

that's 2 weeks before. I'd do a step up. you've done 15 recently. Do 17-18 this weekend, 20 or whatever the weekend after and then come back down.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

You've got plenty of time. For at least 2, counting the one you did today. Personally, I like my last long run a couple weeks out (or sometimes even less). I just take that run pretty easy - and generally make it 18 or so. I've done long and really long runs just 6/7 days before a marathon without a problem, as long as they're easy. So if you want, you could do one (or two) more like today's. But I don't really think you have to worry about it, to tell the truth. Your training has been so consistent and your mileage buildup so steady, that I wouldn't worry about the long runs. (Yeah. I know. People like to argue the point.) If it were me, I'd maybe do one more 18 miler, with a little MP mileage at the end. And focus more on your tempo and MP runs (which it looks you're already doing), maybe do a couple mile interval workouts (8 x 1 at slightly faster than MP, or something similar). Shorter me: run long if you want. But if you don't get the chance, I wouldn't worry about it. You're ready. Just sharpen the blade. The sharpening is where I'd focus now.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You've got plenty of time. For at least 2, counting the one you did today.
            Psychic you are, very impressive.
            Personally, I like my last long run a couple weeks out (or sometimes even less). I just take that run pretty easy - and generally make it 18 or so. I've done long and really long runs just 6/7 days before a marathon without a problem, as long as they're easy.
            Before you went and became ultra-gorilla tho, right? Because after that point, I'm not sure if you're the same species as the rest of us anymore Smile
            So if you want, you could do one (or two) more like today's. But I don't really think you have to worry about it, to tell the truth. Your training has been so consistent and your mileage buildup so steady, that I wouldn't worry about the long runs. (Yeah. I know. People like to argue the point.)
            I saw the recent thread on it, and Mikey's argument against long runs being necessary was fairly comforting to me, b/c I don't know that I'll get a 20 in (and the seductive magic of the 20 number was making me want one with that number).
            If it were me, I'd maybe do one more 18 miler, with a little MP mileage at the end. And focus more on your tempo and MP runs (which it looks you're already doing), maybe do a couple mile interval workouts (8 x 1 at slightly faster than MP, or something similar).
            Oh ya, I've seen others suggest that (fast finish long runs)-- great point -- I'll try to remember that. I think my MP pace is too slow for mile intervals to make sense -- I mean, some of my easy runs have 8mi straight at MP or a little faster -- actually today's run had 6 straight at MP. I'm willing to concede that I'm probably simply not racing the marathon yet. But I did the first one so slow, that now I can speed up to a comfortable speed and still get a PR (and/or find out what bonking means), and then maybe think about racing one next time.) Thanks JK and everyone for feedback.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.