Marathon Training and Discussions

Pace Adjustment for Heat (Read 1367 times)

Dave

I did a bit of googling in light of this weekend's warm temperatures on the east coast (and apparently in Oregon as well). Found this on Galloway: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/tips_archives/seasonal.html Adjusting Race Pace for Heat: Estimated temperature at finish - Slower than goal pace - 8 min mile becomes... 55-60 degrees - 1% - 8:05 60-65 degrees - 3% - 8:15 65-70 degrees - 5% - 8:25 70-75 degrees - 7% - 8:35 75-80 degrees - 12% - 8:58 80-85 degrees - 20% - 9:35 Above 85 degrees - Forget it... run for fun To be fair, this doesn't specify the length of the race but it certainly explains how hard the running was this weekend.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Above 85 degrees - Forget it... run for fun
      Apparently the word fun has multiple meanings Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

By Tuesday, weather in the DC area is supposed to be low's in the 50's, high's in the 70's. Can't wait. The weather this weekend SUCKED.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

Above 85 degrees - Forget it... run for fun save your strength and enter another race in a couple weeks
          Fixed. Actually for me that chart would look more like 65-75 - kiss BQ goodbye but still make a stab at it. 75-85 - forget racing and just pace your friend in. Sign up for another marathon 85+ - talk your friend out of racing as well.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Kimmie

So that makes my 9:30 pace in my half marathon really a 8:00 pace. Thanks Dave, that makes me feel better. You were still able to hold on to a decent pace for your long run though, right? Here's hoping for a cooling trend... I am running 20 this weekend and then a 20 mile race the weekend after that.

Dave

I was around a 9:03 pace for my 20 but slowed to a 9:40 around mile 17 before picking it back up. Ennay, I've modified that chart for my pace 55-60 degrees - 1% - Forget BQ 60-65 degrees - 3% - Not a chance at BQ 65-85 degrees - 5% - Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!! .... Above 85 degrees - Attempt to volunteer to spray water on actual "runners"

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

94 today 90 freaking 4 The only thing that helps is that as fall approaches it is cool in the morning here so if the marathon were today it would have been 50 at the start and 75 at the finish. 94 isnt until 4 pm or so.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7