Marathon Training and Discussions

What are the chances (Read 377 times)

Giants Fan

That I'll just be naturally faster for my second marathon??? Anything I can do in training besides adding in more speedwork? I'm shooting for one around May I think...also what should I try to keep my base miles at a week between now and then?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Dave

I think the chances are very good that you'll be faster. You've built a certain base of fitness. Going into a second training cycle will build on that base you've established. Your legs will be able to put up with the mileage better and mentally you'll be more prepared for the race. I've got another scheduled in late March and I'm going to shoot for 30 mile weeks until my 18 week trainup starts but it is only a few weeks. Others will almost certainly say higher.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

JakeKnight

Actually, I think you can get significantly faster with each successive marathon, even if you don't gain fitness - just by gaining experience in how to run the things. Experience matters. Next time, you'll know better how hard you can push, when to hold back, and what exactly your body is telling you at each point ... not to mention with each one you do, you'll learn more about fueling your body during the race, preparing in the days before, etc. I wouldn't change much about your training. Maybe more marathon specific speedwork, maybe do more 5k/10k tuneup races. Just be patient and stay consistent. I'd stay in the 30-40 mile per week range until you start your next program ... not that you can't run more, if you want.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

A Saucy Wench

I agree, I think you'll get faster even if you just repeated exactly what you did. Those miles are easier on your body the second time around.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree, I think you'll get faster even if you just repeated exactly what you did. Those miles are easier on your body the second time around.
            That's good to hear. Due to my knee issues I scaled-back my training midway through and jumped into HH's Intermediate 1 program...what I had been doing was similar to his I2. I'm already thinking about marathon #2 (as opposed to #2 marathon, which is something altogether different) and wondering if I should do I1, again, or push myself a bit more with I2.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Mmmm...that is a good point Zoomy, do I follow the same program going with 22 as my longest run? or up it to a more challenging one....I do hope I get faster, I agree on the 5K and 10K races...hard to do around here though with the marathon the first week in April. Will have to search around. So freaking cold around here, I can't stand it!!! I do agree on the experience end. I will run a tad slower on my 10K, then try to pick it up more towards the end. This time around I just felt like the end was survival...I want to feel more competitive at the end. Thanks for the advice guys!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz