Marathon Training and Discussions

Drop 30 minutes off my marathon? (Read 28 times)

CareyRunning

Hi! this year's (2018) Chicago marathon was my first marathon. I loved it and signed up for next year's Chicago Marathon, and I was wondering if anyone would give me some tips on improving my time.

This year I did 4:33:29/10:26 per mile and was wondering if anyone had any advice for breaking 4 next year or otherwise making a pretty solid improvement. I was really happy with it but based on how much I trained going into it I'm hoping there's more speed to be found.

basically I spent all spring and June/July finishing up law school and studying for the bar exam (I passed, thankfully). I worked out when I could but gained over 20 pounds and when I started marathon training in August getting through runs was incredibly hard. (My first long run was 12 miles and that was such a struggle.) after 7 weeks of training and a two week taper, I had a

race I was super happy with, but I'm hoping there's more speed in me.

Besides the obvious of lose the 20 pounds and train for more than 7 weeks what can I do to improve next year. Not sure how much volume I can put in during the winter/how much time should be spent maintaining fitness and cross training (I've had knee issues since like 9th grade) and how much should just be hard running. I'm thinking a spring half marathon could be good; I'm also thinking about doing cross country skiing this winter.

I don't have money for expensive coaches/gear but I do have time for training/sleep.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

jdmcgregor

All business

I would avoid "hard running" and focus on mostly easy runs plus your cross training (skiing). That should get your base nice and strong without chancing an injury. See how you feel into spring, then yeah, pick it up if you're feeling good.

My first marathon was 4:40-something, mainly as I just wanted to survive the distance. Once I knew it could be done, (and I got more experience with long runs, racing, and knowing what my body needed) I wasn't afraid to go a little faster.  Find a good training plan and get out there on the lakefront for some long runs.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Congrats on finishing Chicago!  And congrats on passing your bar!  Both great achievements.  You don't need a coach (at this time).  Here's what I'd suggest....

Yes, sign up for a Half in the spring.  That will keep you motivated to keep moving (running or cross-training) through the winter.

More miles, more miles, more miles.  They don't need to be fast, just consistent.  More days the better.  More miles each run, the better.

Run slower.  That will help with the knees, but will also help with aerobic improvement.

You're young, so there's a lot of potential in you.  Sub-4 is doable if you train well and most importantly, train smart.  Good luck!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours