Marathon Training and Discussions

hi. (Read 413 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Smile Just thought I should join this mob...who doesn't love a mob?! Almost a year until I will run my first planned marathon, but my mental training needs to start now. No slacking this Winter.... Big grin k Edited because I forgot a 'w'. *insert funny political wisecrack about Dubya*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

welcome zz top! You should know... No bitching, no moaning, no whining, no crying, no laughing, no shortcuts, no barfing... 'cuz there's already too much of that going on already! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hate barfing. I've had a couple of races that had me on the verge of chundering. I hope I never do. Maybe that makes me a wuss, but I don't care. I have some standards... Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Hey zoomersssssssss WELCOME!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, abs girl! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

ZZ, welcome! We are honored (honoured as Kooky might spell it) by your presence. What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin'on here?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ZZ, welcome! We are honored (honoured as Kooky might spell it) by your presence. What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin'on here?
                Excuse me while I whip this out! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

welcome Kirsten! what's your first marathon going to be?

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

welcome Kirsten! what's your first marathon going to be?
                    I'm planning on Grand Rapids, which would be the last Sunday in Oct., I believe. I may look ahead to the '09 Bayshore in Traverse City the following May (I think May), too...that would really keep me motivated all Winter to keep my training up (though would spell the end of doing the Riverbank Run 25k on Mother's Day wknd). k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm planning on Grand Rapids, which would be the last Sunday in Oct., I believe. I may look ahead to the '09 Bayshore in Traverse City the following May (I think May), too...that would really keep me motivated all Winter to keep my training up (though would spell the end of doing the Riverbank Run 25k on Mother's Day wknd). k
                      Why? Its 5 months before. Many marathon programs are 12-24 weeks. Plenty of time for you to do riverbank and then start a marathon program.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why? Its 5 months before. Many marathon programs are 12-24 weeks. Plenty of time for you to do riverbank and then start a marathon program.
                        No, I mean the Bayshore Marathon and the 25k Riverbank Run are only a week or two apart--not gonna do both of those. The plan for now is '08 25k in May, then the GR Marathon in Oct...then not sure if I would do the 25k or the Bayshore Marathon the following May--would probably depend upon how my training over the Winter months went. And the 25k is a really nice event (and closer to home, so no lodging expenses), so I'm not sure I'd even want to do the May marathon... k

~ Sarah Kay

Gotcha. It makes so much more sense now that I'm properly caffienated. Welcome to the group BTW! Have you picked a plan yet (or narrowed it down)?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Have you picked a plan yet (or narrowed it down)?
                            I don't know that I will really follow a formal plan--probably will stick to pretty much what I've been doing for HMs...at least 5 days of running/week, including a long run, at least one day of speedwork and/or hills, etc. I would like to get up to 45-50 miles/week with a long run of at least 20 miles. k

~ Sarah Kay

One thing I wish I had for my 1st marathon was a formal pace group to keep me more honest on my pace. I planned a 4:15 finish as my stretch goal and 4:30 as my hard goal. Unfortunately, I beat my 10 mile race PR at the 10-mile split point (9'12"/mile) My next ten miles... 10'34"/mile My last 6.2... 12'19"/mile Final time 4:34:06 I think I would have had a little more left if my first mile wasn't 8'30"... all the people in the 10-12 mile pace corral went out extremely fast. I'm pretty sure a lot of them burned out pretty quickly, too.