Marathon Training and Discussions

Final Tips (Read 544 times)

Tonight, over my last "good" meal, I plan on putting together my plan for a Sept. '11 marathon.  It'll be my first. 

I've gathered that two or three twenties should be plenty.  Are there any final tips that you can throw out to me?  It can be training, nutrition, or of any other topic.  I'm all ears.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Queen of 3rd Place

1) Run lots and all that. I've become a big believer in running every day if you can, and doubles when you can, making sure you get some super-duper easy and ridiculously short runs in there - they are so therapeutic.

2) Mid-week longish runs make the truly long runs easier.

3) Know when to back off or add extra, don't be married to your program. Easier said than done, right?

I just purchased this book, it's full of some cool cutting-edge data.

And, whaddaya mean, last good meal?

Ex runner

Thanks.  I've put in some mid-week long runs, and what killed my attempt last time was I was married to my plan.  I'm not going to let that happen again.

My last "good" meal means it's time to get serious about running again.  That includes nutrition.  I think I was only half kidding about that.

Queen of 3rd Place

My last "good" meal means it's time to get serious about running again.  That includes nutrition.  I think I was only half kidding about that.

Good news. I mean, you wouldn't be cutting out important things like beer, would you?

Ex runner

I gave that up last year after too much Leinie's Summer Shandy at my wife's class reunion.  I can't even drink anything that remotely tastes like beer.  But in the end, it doesn't really matter because I spent my competitive running life without the stuff anyway.  If there's anything I would throw down after a long, hot run, it would be water or white grapefruit juice.  I'm addicted to that stuff.  Yes, I'm weird.