Marathon Training and Discussions

Day after tomorrow (Read 347 times)

Giants Fan

Ok people I'm freaking out because my first marathon is day after tomorrow. Any last minute advice? Besides to not hit the wall, crap myself, or eat too much Gu? Guess I'll feel like one of the club after Sunday.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

JakeKnight

Ok people I'm freaking out because my first marathon is day after tomorrow. Any last minute advice? Besides to not hit the wall, crap myself, or eat too much Gu? Guess I'll feel like one of the club after Sunday.
      Sure. Here's some advice: see that thing in your sig line? Starting at mile 16, repeat it in your head every ten steps. That's really what it's all about. Your training looks superb. You're more than ready. All you have to do ... is not quit. And have fun. Seriously. You only have one first. Try to really enjoy it and savor it. You've done the work. Now go do your victory lap and get your medal. (Prediction: whatever your time goal is, I predict you beat it by 4-5 minutes).

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

xor

FWIW, if you don't eat too much Gu, you are much less likely to crap yourself. So, 2 for 1. Just breathe. You probably won't sleep well Saturday night. Try to sleep well Friday night. When you toss and turn on Saturday night, just remember that you got enough sleep the night before. It'll be enough. Don't go too nuts with food. Eat what you've been eating before long runs... maybe a little more. Get all your stuff ready the night before. Going out a little slow is better than going out fast. BUT... if you look down at M1 or M2 and realize you've been running too fast, don't freak out. Just slow down. Try not to pee on your shoes.

JakeKnight

Just breathe. You probably won't sleep well Saturday night. Try to sleep well Friday night. When you toss and turn on Saturday night, just remember that you got enough sleep the night before. It'll be enough. Don't go too nuts with food. Eat what you've been eating before long runs... maybe a little more.
          I agree strongly with both of the above. I (used to) never sleep more than a couple hours before marathons. It has no adverse effects (on me at least) - assuming I slept well then night (and week) before that. Don't tweak out if you can't sleep. (And for God's sake, don't do what I did once and take sleeping pills. Now that sucked. I woke up at mile 16 wondering where the Hell I was.) And really, really listen to that eating advice. The only disastrous marathon I ever had came from thinking that, hey, if a little carbo-loading and hydrating is good ... then TONS must be great! Roll eyes Newsflash: a solid week of heavy pasta and Gatorade will not make you run like the wind. They'll make you a chubby diabetic likely to crap yourself and pass out. Simultaneously. Just eat normal and healthy, with a little emphasis on carbs. (Note my 2006 CMM time for the results of ignoring SrLopez's advice on eating ...)

Dave

Newsflash: a solid week of heavy pasta and Gatorade will not make you run like the wind. They'll make you a chubby diabetic likely to crap yourself and pass out. Simultaneously.
            I wonder if this should be added to the FAQ page. You are nothing if not quotable.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

I (used to) never sleep more than a couple hours before marathons. It has no adverse effects (on me at least) - assuming I slept well then night (and week) before that. Don't tweak out if you can't sleep. (And for God's sake, don't do what I did once and take sleeping pills. Now that sucked. I woke up at mile 16 wondering where the Hell I was.)
              Why I take a sleeping pill on Friday Big grin You are so ready midwest!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Kimmie

I don't have more advice but I agree with what's been said already. Try not to freak out too much. you're going to do great and have fun!

Dave

Midwest, I can't wait for your race report. You're are going to do so well!! You're already part of the club Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*takes notes*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Thanks guys. Seriously I love this site. I have my local running club but the more support the better. I have learned so much from you people...guess there is nothing left to do than shut up and run huh? Glad you guys think my training was adequate, think that is the one thing I waffle over. No true way to know, besides going through it once. Believe me I have quoted my sig line numerous times on runs. That and a little HTFU!! Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to cross that damn finish line!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Dave

And don't give us one of those 4 line, no detail, pathetic race reports either. Regardless of your time, we want the details.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

JakeKnight

Well? Is he done yet? Hurry the funk up and tell us how it went. I is curious. I expect a report by noon. Showers are for sissies.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I hope it went well! Thought of you all day in agony because my keyboard got coffeed and I couldnt get on to wish you luck. Got my old laptop functioning so here anxiously awaiting details!!!! MTA I think I stalked the results and found her. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA I think I stalked the results and found her. Big grin
                                ...And....? Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay