Marathon Training and Discussions

hydration belt (Read 602 times)

I'm running my first marathon in about a week, and I was wondering if its dorky to run with a hydration belt since there will be so much water, etc on the course.  I ran with one during training.

I'm running my first marathon in about a week, and I was wondering if its dorky to run with a hydration belt since there will be so much water, etc on the course.  I ran with one during training.

I used to run with a belt when I first started running. Then I switched to a handheld bottle that I use for training and longer races. That way I'm free to skip the early, almost always crowded aid stations, and have the ability to drink when I want - not just when I'm near an aid station.

If you're comfortable running with it in training, then race away. Everyone at a race is dorky in one way or another, so don't sweat the belt.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hawt and sexy

If you are going for prize money, yes, it's dorky. Now, just because it's dorkey does not mean that it does not happen. I have seen, on tv, someone at the freakin' Olympic Marathon using a Fuel Belt. I doubt that guy would care if someone felt they were dorky.

Do what you want. Usually those that wear the belt are doing so to use their own stash of sports drink.  If you can handle the course sport drink, there really is no need for the belt. Unless, of course, you need a stash of gels the size of Lance Armstrong's stash. In that case, wear the belt and hire a sherpa.

I'm touching your pants.