Marathon Training and Discussions

Feedback on my first marathon training plan please? (Read 652 times)

Hi. I'm training for my first marathon, the Vermont city marathon on 5/24. I tweaked my marathon training plan and would love feedback from more experienced marathoners. I took elements from Higdon Intermediate II and some advice from RAers and built a plan. The core is the weekly long run, a mid-week longish run (65% of previous week's long run)and a speed workout (mostly tempos, fartleks or hills) on Mondays. Then easy runs to fill it in. I'll add a 10K in Feb and HM in March to get some racing in. The question is how to add more miles into this plan. I'm near 40 mpw and the program peaks at about 50 a couple weeks before the race. So I'm thinking I could add some miles - mostly easy one but would like some advice on where to add them in. Any other comments are welcome. don't read too much into the taper weeks - that's another topic I need to research a little more and adjust. Thanks! VCM 2009 Training plan MTA: I'm competitive and I don't want to just finish. I want to race it. According to McMillan calculator, I should be able to finish in 3:45. sounds agressive for a first marathon but I really want to train hard and get it.

Carl A

You've done the research, and you've used information from standard plans to create a plan of your own. It looks like you're pretty much set. All you have to do now is run and get there. The plan looks good to me. If you're feeling like you're on the edge of injury, take a smart day off and then continue on. On the other hand, if you find that you feel like you could do more mileage more than once in a while, add some in, maybe mid-week if you have time.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm far from an expert, so this may be only worth a penny, but depending on how you feel after your long runs (I mean the long ones -- your plan does them like I prefer myself -- not every week, but some weeks long and some weeks not), you might consider cutting back the intensity of the speedwork. It isn't the day after the long run, but it is two days after, so if you've just done 18 or 20 for the first time, you might want to baby the 2nd day after a bit. But with such a well-thought out plan, I suspect you'd have thought of this already anyway Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

...---...

so if you've just done 18 or 20 for the first time, you might want to baby the 2nd day after a bit.
          Sage advice. I learned this the hard way. I damn near ruined my first marathon pushing it after my last 2 biggest long runs. But that was me and what I could handle...or rather, couldn't handle. Problem was, I didn't know the damage I was doing until the speed work was over.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A Saucy Wench

I would say in general if you are feeling like the marathon training is getting too much feel free to cutback or eliminate speedwork entirely. I did virtually no speedwork for any of my first 3 marathons and I will drop it as necessary this go round as well. I write it in my plan, but remember plans are fluid, not scripture. Adjust as needed.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

Your plan looks OK. Some may say that running 19 and then 20 on consecutive weekends is not a good idea. See how you feel. Also I'd maybe do more than 12 on the in between weeks. Better yet, shoot for a time goal on those weeks, something like 2 hours. I agree with the others on the speed work. Use caution. Listen to your body. Get to that starting line in one piece. It really isn't necessary to dip below HM pace at all, especially considering that this is your first marathon. Good luck!

Not at it at all. 

Thanks all. Excellent advice. Yeah, speedwork for me is really just a tempo or a fartlek. My running group has track workouts once a week but I don't go since it doesn't seem to make much sense in marathon prep. I may also just make the Monday workout an easy one and just add some tempo pace during my mid-week longish run or a (relatively) fast finish and let that be the total of my "speed" work. Or, as many of you say, don't worry about it all. I will always err on the side of getting more miles over speedwork. Thanks! MTA:
                Your plan looks OK. Some may say that running 19 and then 20 on consecutive weekends is not a good idea. See how you feel. Also I'd maybe do more than 12 on the in between weeks. Better yet, shoot for a time goal on those weeks, something like 2 hours. Good luck!
                That's also great advice. My concern was that I'm already at about 37-39 mpw and I'd only be getitng to about 50 byt the end of the program. That will be a useful way to add more miles by going for a time goal.

Dave

TMy concern was that I'm already at about 37-39 mpw and I'd only be getitng to about 50 byt the end of the program. That will be a useful way to add more miles by going for a time goal.
                  EGH3, I peaked out at 50 MPW for my 2nd marathon back in October and was hoping for 3:45 or better so I know it can be done. For me, the biggest confidence builder was a few faster finish long runs at the 18 and even 20 mile distances. I probably over did it a little and ended up having to use my taper to heal up a little before the race but the MP miles at the end of long runs payed big benefits.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

EGH3, I peaked out at 50 MPW for my 2nd marathon back in October and was hoping for 3:45 or better so I know it can be done. For me, the biggest confidence builder was a few faster finish long runs at the 18 and even 20 mile distances. I probably over did it a little and ended up having to use my taper to heal up a little before the race but the MP miles at the end of long runs payed big benefits.
                    Another good point. Higdon Intermediate II calls for a MP run the day before the weekly long run. My schedule won't really allow that. I'll add some mP pace at the end of long runs later and will also add a little MP pace to my mid-week long run. That may be all I'll do for speedwork. And I'll back off as needed. I just did 14 miles yesterday so I think I can bump up the long runs - that way I can add a cutback between the 18 and 19 mile long run weeks. Thanks to everyone for the good advice.