Marathon Training and Discussions

War Stories - Worst Marathon Preparation (Read 2333 times)

protoplasm72

Is there some kind of trophy for the winner? I don't currently have a good story but I'm registered for Chicago next week and haven't run since Aug 13 do to a tear in a tendon. I'm not planning on running but if some kind of trophy and a case of beer were on the line I could go out and run the marathon possibly tearing the tendon completely off the bone and requiring surgery to fix. 0 miles for 2 months and then injuring myself to the point of needing surgery would have to get me some serious points. Dead

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

jpnairn

straw man

I love this topic. I don't think I can win against the competition that's already in, but I am going to submit a few marathons, and I hope others will submit more stories, whether you think they're winners or not. After all, the whole point is to help other runners learn from our mistakes, right? My first marathon, Silicon Valley, 10/25/98 1. 4:27:23 2. pre-race mileage I wasn't logging my miles, but I was doing 3 to 5 runs a week, with most runs being from 3 to 6 miles. I was probably doing about 20 miles per week. 3. Long run I did two runs of about 12 miles, one of them one week before the marathon. 4. Pre-race or race mistakes Never having run a marathon before and not knowing what to expect, I planned to run a conservative pace. I had done a 10K at an 8 minute mile pace two weeks prior, so I figured a 10 minute pace was reasonable, and made the math easy, a 4:22 marathon. I went out and did the first mile in 7 minutes. I tried to slow it down a bit, and ran the next mile in 7:15. I crossed six miles way faster than I had run that 10K, and still felt comfortable, but was still trying to slow down. This went on to 16 miles, after which I was no longer trying to slow down, but slowing down all the same. The last few miles were a death march that I am sure is familiar to many of you. If you do the math, you'll see that I managed to average 10:11, pretty close to what I had planned, but not the way I planned. 5. No injuries.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Dave

JP, thanks for your contribution. Despite your sheepish introduction and lack of injuries, I think this placed very highly (has anyone figured out that the points don't matter? although I may be willing to award t-shirts at some point). I especially liked your naive approach to the race and giggled at a 7:15 first mile. Actually giggled. I think its safe to say that you didn't overthink it. Very well done.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My first marathon, Silicon Valley, 10/25/98 1. 4:27:23 2. pre-race mileage I wasn't logging my miles, but I was doing 3 to 5 runs a week, with most runs being from 3 to 6 miles. I was probably doing about 20 miles per week. 3. Long run I did two runs of about 12 miles, one of them one week before the marathon.
          Wanna know what sucks about this? I was relatively well-trained for my race and could have possibly posted that time with some decent negative splits in the last 6 miles, but then the cramps stopped me cold. Bastard. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jpnairn

straw man

OK, 2 more submissions, one brief, the other way too long. Tucson, 12/10/06 Even if you've had it many times before, you like it, and it has never upset your stomach, a big steaming bowl of pho, the Vietnamese noodle soup with various animal parts, spices, herbs, and chili oil, is not a good way to carbo-load the night before a marathon. Boston, 4/16/07 1. Finish Time - 5:04:07 2,3. Pre-Race Mileage, Long Run Here is the my weekly mileage and the long run for the twelve weeks leading up to the Boston Marathon: 12 38 14 11 42 26 10 46 31 9 44 26 8 29 8 7 33 10 6 20 11 5 14 14 4 25 7 3 21 6 2 26 8 1 4 4 We had the good fortune of having three local long distance races in three weeks in February, so I signed up for them all. The first 26 miler above was the Desert Classic Marathon, which was no problem. The 31 miler in the 10th week before Boston was the Pemberton Trail 50K. It was my first real ultra marathon race. I turned my ankle in a wash less than half a mile from the start, but I only hopped and limped a few steps and it was all right for the rest of the race. It was sore after, though, and I felt it in the week leading up to the Lost Dutchman Marathon in the 9th week before Boston. Lost Dutchman was going well until I ducked into a porta-john to pee at mile 10, and stepped on a rock getting out. I twisted the same ankle, and it hurt the rest of the race, along with my right knee. My knee problem got progressively worse until every run was uncomfortable. I tried to keep going, because I wanted to be in good shape for Boston, but the more I did, of course the worse my nagging injuries got. Anyway, I did two 5Ks, one 10K, and 3 legs in the Ragnar Relay Del Sol between Lost Dutchman and Boston. The rest of the story, and it is a long one, is here: http://www.yourrunning.com/blog-boston_and_the_boston_marathon

1. Finishing Time -6:03:37 2. Pre-race mileage - No week over 25 miles. Most weeks were at or less than 20mpw. (this is pre RA and my logs are very ambiguous....do I get bonus points for that?) 3. Long Run - 16 miles in 4 hours (yeah, I know) 2 times this was also my first 4. Pre-race, or race mistakes - Not training enough, eating poorly, not being consistent, taking whole weeks off because I was "tired", wearing the wrong shoes. 5. Injuries - Several...main complaint was ITBS in right leg along with some nagging tendinitis in my left and right foot. Ended the marathon with a baseball size knot on my lower right leg that lasted for about 3 days and the pain lasted a week. HTFU points..............husband got canned in the middle of training so I had to go to work full time (3 12 hour days compared to 1-2 12 hour days before), was taking 9 credit hours at school (had to drop one class), training, and fundraising which is another full time job in itself.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              Carl A

First marathon - Steamtown 1999 Training: a 3.5-mile lunch-break lap around Lake Scranton, once or twice a week, for about a month. Long run: a 5-miler one week before the race. After that run, I said to myself, I can do that five more times, easy, plus a little more. The race: Race morning, I laced up my old racquetball crosstrainers. This choice would haunt me later. I went out into the cloudy morning, uneasily noticing the fancy-tech footwear of all the other runners. Beneath a pair of gray cotton shorts, I wore cotton jammer briefs. This choice would also haunt me later. Four hours later, I'm shuffling along in a steady rain, barely gaining on the walkers in front of me and getting passed by every runner. I calculate that I'm now hitting maybe fifteen-minute miles. It's mile 22, so I still have maybe an hour to go. One of my sneakers has worn a hole through its white rubber sole. My inner thighs are blistering. Someone hands me a popsicle stick loaded with Vaseline. I soon find out that it's actually some kind of sports creme. While painful, this new problem affects my pace very little. As I stumble along, I'm suddenly grateful because I realize that this whole experience might actually be more painful than death. I'm shamelessly crying aloud, thinking occasionally of deceased relatives. The ample crowd support has only encouraging things to say, probably because they wish my struggling visage to be away from them more quickly. Unseen to them, my feet are only slightly less blistered than my groin. Someone asks me if I want some ibuprofin. I squint up, blink twice, and say"What?" because I cannot comprehend multisyllabic terms. "I Bu Pro Fin," he says. "No thanks," I reply. The pain must have a purpose. Finally, the finish chute appears in the distance. I begin to sprint like a madman, like the Italian Stallion but on a flat road, like Mel Brooks fleeing pigeons. I cross the line, the mantra "Never again" pounding in my brain with each stride. Finish time: 4:42:02

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I cross the line, the mantra "Never again" pounding in my brain with each stride.
                  I'm proud of myself. I didn't laugh out loud. It was an effort. My wife has already yelled at me twice for drinking too much wine and distracting her while she studies tonight. (The first time I meant to, the second time I was just chasing the kitten through the living room. I blame the cat for that one.)

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A Saucy Wench

First marathon - Steamtown 1999 Training: a 3.5-mile lunch-break lap around Lake Scranton, once or twice a week, for about a month. Long run: a 5-miler one week before the race. After that run, I said to myself, I can do that five more times, easy, plus a little more. The race: Race morning, I laced up my old racquetball crosstrainers. This choice would haunt me later. I went out into the cloudy morning, uneasily noticing the fancy-tech footwear of all the other runners. Beneath a pair of gray cotton shorts, I wore cotton jammer briefs. This choice would also haunt me later. ... Finally, the finish chute appears in the distance. I begin to sprint like a madman, like the Italian Stallion but on a flat road, like Mel Brooks fleeing pigeons. I cross the line, the mantra "Never again" pounding in my brain with each stride. Finish time: 4:42:02
                    We may have a winner

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave

We very well may have. What is particularly excellent about Carl's post is that it has to be put into perspective with his 100 mile ultra finishes. Well done. To appreciate Jerry's report a few posts back you have to read the entire race report on his site. Still, there were some pretty healthy running weeks in there up in the 20's and I'd have to downgrade him for that. Turboterie, another encouraging submission but 2 x 16 milers once again puts you in another category. Keep'em coming everyone Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Carl A

Questions I should have asked before entering this contest: - When is the entry deadline? - What do I get (besides eternal glory) if I win? - What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? Here's wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all, and a speedy and healthy recovery to all you autumn marathoners.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Oh Mighty Wing

Fine Dave but i'm doing this just for you! Big grin 2008 Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon 1. Finishing Time - 6:10:24 2. Pre-race mileage - 53 miles in November - not including the race. 3. Long Run - 7 miles 4. Pre-race, or race mistakes - None! 5. Injuries - None! ok well I had a foot cramp for 2 days. This was my 1st marathon!

Treadmill Addict

Someone hands me a popsicle stick loaded with Vaseline. I soon find out that it's actually some kind of sports creme. While painful, this new problem affects my pace very little.
                            Haha. This made me laugh out loud. Nice. Smile

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Hi All! Not sure if my stories meet all of the criteria, but this discussion is way too entertaining not to join in. So, I have run one full and one half marathon, and my half marathon was way more painful than the full due to my being a long race virgin and an unfortunate game of tag with my cat... Backstory: I finished grad school in 2005 weighing 253 pounds and not being able to walk up steps without nearing coronary status. My first job out of grad school, I had the bad or good fortune to be working with two crazy women who loved marathons, tris, etc. As I had a huge crush on one of them, I started going to the track in the mornings with her to work out. My first day, I did two laps...before crashing. That was in July of 2005... I worked my way up to running regularly and helping my crush friend train for Disney 2006. She used Hal Higdon's Novice Marathon training program of course and I caught the bug and decided to train for the Gasparilla Marathon in February 2006. Well, a few days before her 12 mile long run, my persian cat, Elektra, and I were engaged in a long game of tag in my apartment. We were having a great time ... But, in the midst of running after my cat, I had the misfortune of catching my right toe in one of the legs of my prized steel bar stools. This knocked me over and the first part of me to hit the carpet was my left knee and I heard and felt something pop. The next morning, my left knee and right toe were a tad larger and colorful than they had been the day before. The athletic trainer at work looked me over and informed me that I had sprained my toe and had burst one of the three bursa sacks in my left knee and advised RICE and no running for a few weeks... So, that weekend I went out and ran the 12 miles with my friend. :-) Well, the one smart thing that I did, I think, was register for the half marathon instead of the full due to my injuries. Well, race day arrived on Feb 25, 2006 in gorgeous, flat, Tampa, FL. Except race day also came with a steady, light rain. Yuck. I set out in my discount New Balance trail shoes, purchased at JC Penneys, regular socks, soccer shorts, Under Armour underwear (Thank God!), and a New Balance white long sleeved dri-fit shirt. Thanks to the rain and my poor choice in foot wear, socks, and no nip protection...by about mile 7 I was "that guy." The rain had soaked my shoes and socks and my toes were blistered and raw. Thanks to the rain, sweat, and no nip protection, I had two red streaks down the right and left sides of my shirt...and, the accompanying pain. I finished in 2:13:27...but due to my feet and chest, went to the medical tent for help...and, they would not let me in! The gate keeper went and got two bandaids and told me to use them at my earliest convenience. So, I left with my bloody bib and medal and took my tired self home. Thank goodness I learned about athletic tape and covering the nips later...and, getting a proper running shoe fitting at a real running shoe store! Incidentally, my friend ran Disney in around 4:50ish....and, I found out she had not bothered to do the really long runs. So, I drove her home from Disney and spent the first day home carrying her around her home as her legs had locked up and she could not walk...zoiks! One, final story. So, I set my sights on the Charlotte Thunder Road Marathon in 2006. My log will attest to the fact that I did most of my runs, as per Hal Higdon Novice #1 training plan. But, one of my employees, who is about 12 years younger and an army reservist decided to do the marathon with me as well. When we would run together, he was notorious for running ahead to trees and other landmarks and then running back to me...because I was too slow. I will credit him for helping push me in my training...but, not for his youthful over confidence. December 9, 2006 found us gearing up for the marathon. My feet were in perfectly fitting Asics GT 2110, Under Armour running socks, Under Armour boxer briefs, Asics running shorts, the same New Balance Dri-Fit Long Sleeved Shirt (with nips fully taped up), a warm fleece sweatshirt, adidas gloves, and Columbia head band/ear warmers. Plus, sweats and two other sweatshirts as the temp was 28 degrees at the start. So, at the start my young employee comes over and says to me, " I have decided not to try and qualify for Boston and will instead run with you."Ouch! The gun goes off and we start...and too fast at first. I tell him...we need to slow down...our mile times were too fast for the first five miles. He did not listen, so, I let him go at 5, and continued to run my pace. I found him on the side of the road at mile 15 stopped, not moving. I am like (insert name here) you must keep running. And, I made him run with me for the next few miles. But, at 18, he dropped back and said he could not keep up. As my legs were hurting and my toes were burning in a toe box too small (I run in Brooks now...) I had to keep running. I finished in 4:41:22...with nary a blister or nip burn or anything. Thank God. And, my overconfident employee finished 20 minutes later... He admitted that he had not run the long runs and had done much of his training away from me on a treadmill.... I am no elite so I can not gloat. But, this race reminded me of my college volleyball coach who often said, "Age and treachery will always win out over youth and enthusiasm." Well, after two years of spotty training...I am in full bore training for a marathon in March. As, I have been very inconsistent up til December, I am praying I do not have more stories to share here. Cheers!
                              If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                              jpnairn

straw man

Great stories, all four of them, you and your training partners, Norm. Thanks for sharing. Hey, you don't have to be elite to gloat. :-) I think once you've done your time as a negative example to others, you're entitled to enjoy the pain of those who follow. Happy Holidays!