Marathon Training and Discussions

Training Plans (Read 849 times)

highonrunning

With this new feature that Eric has put up, I think this is one awesome opportunity for everyone to share what works best for them.

I'm still putting my plan together, but feel free to take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Anyone else care to share?

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I never ran a marathon, but have been running for over 30 yrs. I have run HM's and long relays [R2C] and others but never a marathon.  Last year, I decided to run a marathon [sort of a bucket list thing] since I was turning 55.   I didn't really use a training plan, I just started adding miles to my long and weekly runs.  Ended up injuring myself multiple times and deferring [Steamtown] due to injuries.   

This year I am re-registered for Steamtown in October and used RA tool to set up training plan.  Training plan is basically beginners marathon plan from the web. I just extended training a few weeks at end to give me multiple 20 mile long runs.  My question is my plan at beginning is really low mileage and I am currently running about 25-35 miles a week.  Should I follow the "plan" or keep to weekly mileage until plan catches up? 

The plan doesn't start until next month and recently I have been doing long runs of 12-15 miles.  I  thought about doing intermediate plan when I set up but I sort of did that last year ad hoc and did not allow enough recovery time.  So I am a bit hesitant to do make any changes.  Also I am not planning a BQ but hoping to finish around 4 hrs.  Any advice?  [My training plan is open if anyone would like to take a look.]

Thanks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

I would say ramp up mileage from where you are now, do a little bit of fast running once a week for the next couple months (every other week if you haven't been doing much for a while.

Some 400's at 1:50-2:00 or 800's at the same pace (3:40-4:00) with equal to double time recovery would be a nice start.

Sometime between late June and August I would probably ditch those for some steady running at half-marathon pace. Seems to be about 5 min/km or 8 min/mile for you.

By 'not looking to BQ', do you mean you just want to safely cover the distance and aren't interested in trying to go as fast as you can, or that you don't think you'll be able to get fast enough in time? Based on your half in March, sub 3:40 is a reasonable goal.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I would say ramp up mileage from where you are now, do a little bit of fast running once a week for the next couple months (every other week if you haven't been doing much for a while.

Some 400's at 1:50-2:00 or 800's at the same pace (3:40-4:00) with equal to double time recovery would be a nice start.

Sometime between late June and August I would probably ditch those for some steady running at half-marathon pace. Seems to be about 5 min/km or 8 min/mile for you.

By 'not looking to BQ', do you mean you just want to safely cover the distance and aren't interested in trying to go as fast as you can, or that you don't think you'll be able to get fast enough in time? Based on your half in March, sub 3:40 is a reasonable goal.

Thanks.  As for BQ, since my first marathon I want to complete w/o injury or have issues afterwards.  If I finish faster than I projected that would be great but right now not a goal.  Though I like the idea of doing a little speed work in the beginning.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum