Marathon Training and Discussions

Long runs..the day after (Read 301 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, yesterday was my 20, today I am not even sore at all. Did I run hard enough? Is there a pace you are supposed to keep for those? I used the McMillan calculator for the range to stay in for long runs. Just want reassurance, the time on feet and distance are what's important right? Not that you run at a hard pace? I just can't believe I'm not even sore. Weird thought I would be dying today. Am a little more tired.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Oh Mighty Wing

midwest - I'm sure you did just fine pace wise. Being that is was your first (congrats!!) any successful pace is probably good. Also have you tried running (not saying you should)? Because that may be where the soreness would rear it's ugly head.

You did fine. I'd recommend an easy jog today (it is a new distance after all) and then back to normal in a day or two. Be aware that DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) can sometimes take a day or two to manifest itself. The easy (and short!) jig jog today will help decrease the likelihood or severity of soreness a day later. That you aren't sore, though, probably just means that your body was ready for that run. Nice work!

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Was it all a dream?

Yep, the time on your feet with an elevated heart rate is what's important. Save the soreness for the tempo runs and intervals.

Giants Fan

Ok, thanks, feeling better about it then. Just can't believe how great I feel the day after! I'm almost thinking that distance is more for the mental preparation. That part stinks!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Giants Fan

Ok little sore today on run...could definitely tell my legs were still a little tired. Nothing I couldn't handle though

Charles Schulz

Be aware that DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) can sometimes take a day or two to manifest itself. The easy (and short!) jig jog today will help decrease the likelihood or severity of soreness a day later.
                Ok little sore today on run...could definitely tell my legs were still a little tired. Nothing I couldn't handle though
                Guess you came to the right place looking for advice. Cool

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Giants Fan

"Guess you came to the right place looking for advice. " Never doubted that for a moment!

Charles Schulz