Marathon Training and Discussions

How screwed am I? (Read 906 times)

Giants Fan

So, have had this pain behind my right leg, only starts in about 4 miles in to my run. Feels like a tightness that then turns to pain. Have cut mileage, cut out long run this week and took Saturday off. Wondering how bad this is going to screw up my training and if its something I can cut mileage and work through. I'm thinking it might be tendonitis in my achilles, anyone have experience with this? How many long runs do I miss before I start to worry?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Queen of 3rd Place

NSAIDS. I hate taking pills, too, but it cleared up a similar problem a couple years back (plantar fasciitis that would occasionally stop me dead in my tracks). Sending best wishes... Arla

Ex runner

...---...

Yeah, the NSAID's should help. Just take it easy on your runs. Might not be a bad idea to scale down mileage across the board for a bit - you wont loose any fitness gains if you take an easy week or two. I had a problem leading up to a month before my Oct marathon. I scaled down and had to taper early but had enough endurance for the big day.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Giants Fan

Well today was my first pain free run. I only went 4 miles, didn't push it. My mileage however, is in the toilet! I did bike 18 miles on Sunday. (I'm so freaking sore from that darn bike seat today!) So, pretty much this week too, hit low mileage then jump on the bike for another 10 miles...we'll see...I'm thinking I may be running a half in May, finding a marathon later in the year.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

...---...

May is a long time away. I know it's hard to stay positive when injuries occur - believe me I know - but don't worry about it too much right now. You're doing the things you need to do so just take it easy and relax when you do go out for runs - stressing yourself about it will certainly not speed healing. Just don't ramp up mileage too fast when you're feeling good and worry about dropping down to a half closer to the race date. Ice that thing after every run and - if possible - twice a day. Bag of frozen peas, ice in a dixie cup (peel the top part off nd apply directly to area until numb). Compression may not be a bad idea just hanging around the house. I used to wear an ace bandage around my knee all day. Get a softer bike seat. OUCH! I feel for you. Hang in there. Chin up, win one for the Gipper...

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Giants Fan

Thanks! I'm actually icing for the 2nd time today! I've been icing 4-5 times a day. That is one thing I'm habitual about...I know, I just need to relax, hard when things put a kink in your schedule. I'm only worried about making up my long runs...hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out.

Charles Schulz

Bumping this b/c i am now in a similar situation. MTSS/Periostitis in my right leg. I can't run at all right now. My first marathon is 5/24. IF I can run again in another 7-10 days - and that's a big IF at this point - I'm going to have to ramp slowly over a few weeks to get to where I was. That gives me maybe 10 weeks of training before tapering off. So, how screwed am I? I've been doing Motrin and icing. It improved at first but seems to have leveled off and is staying the same. Can't even jog. Frustrated.

A Saucy Wench

I'm in a jog/walk pattern for the 3rd week. 10 weeks to go to Boston and I can not run a mile at all or run over a 11mm pace for even 2 minutes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I'm in a jog/walk pattern for the 3rd week. 10 weeks to go to Boston and I can not run a mile at all or run over a 11mm pace for even 2 minutes.
                    I am ashamed to have complained about such an insignificant thing. Now you Ennay, YOU are much more screwed than I. Evil grin. But really, reading your previous posts, I would have broken many household items by now had I come down with your injury 10 weeks before Boston. Hope you're able to battle through it.

Dave

EGH3, I agree that you're nearly as screwed as Ennay Wink Lots of time to build back before a May marathon. Trick will be not to get into a cycle where you try and get back too soon - reinjure - run too soon - reinjure ....

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

EGH3, I agree that you're nearly as screwed as Ennay Wink Lots of time to build back before a May marathon. Trick will be not to get into a cycle where you try and get back too soon - reinjure - run too soon - reinjure ....
                        Yep. That's why when i feel no pain in my shin, I'll wait two more days. Then start real slow on the TM and slooooowly add outdoor runs. Hope to get back to 40 mpw by 2nd week of March.

A Saucy Wench

The smart part of my brain says I should bag Boston and not risk missing the whole summer if I injure myself again. The other part of my brain is looking at the fact that I am already into it for a pile of $$ and SURELY I'll be better in 10 weeks.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The smart part of my brain says I should bag Boston and not risk missing the whole summer if I injure myself again. The other part of my brain is looking at the fact that I am already into it for a pile of $$ and SURELY I'll be better in 10 weeks.
                            I got no advice. I'm just a jogger.

Dave

I got no advice. I'm just a jogger.
                              Not lately. I say run it anyway. Its Boston. Have fun.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Giants Fan

Ok been a little absent lately, Ennay what did you do? I have pretty much scrapped the marathon on May 3rd. I seriously have 12 weeks to go, haven't run over 14 miles and am pretty sure if I bump the mileage up too quickly, the achilles will just get reinjured. I'm so pissed I'm running a half! I better freaking run the thing fast, now I need to find a marathon I can do later on in the summer/fall....

Charles Schulz