Marathon Training and Discussions

Gastrointestinal issues with/after long run (Read 454 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, I did my longest run yesterday and have noticed lately when I do a long run now my stomach is so iffy the rest of that day and sometimes into the next. Does this happen to a lot of people? Is it normal? I've never really experienced this little side effect before just curious how prevalent it is and if/what helps. Thanks! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Go Pre!

Ok, I did my longest run yesterday and have noticed lately when I do a long run now my stomach is so iffy the rest of that day and sometimes into the next. Does this happen to a lot of people? Is it normal? I've never really experienced this little side effect before just curious how prevalent it is and if/what helps. Thanks! CC
      Are you consuming Gels and if so, make sure you take in at least 10oz with the gel or else it will sit there and upset you. Aslo, if you use Gels, avoid gatorade on the same run. That's all I can offer but it is based on personal experience.

Giants Fan

Ahhh...I did take the GU and Gatorade in the same run. I will try just one or the other next time. Guess I'm going to have to stick with the GU. Thanks for the heads up. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What are you eating/drinking after your long runs. I was doing milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast and protein powder and seemed to always have HELLACIOUS gas and intestinal issues, but only after my long runs. Then it one day hit me that maybe it was a lactose issue. Made my drinks with lactose-free milk after that and never again had a problem.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What are you eating/drinking after your long runs. I was doing milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast and protein powder and seemed to always have HELLACIOUS gas and intestinal issues, but only after my long runs. Then it one day hit me that maybe it was a lactose issue. Made my drinks with lactose-free milk after that and never again had a problem.
            Yeah... I've often heard that a specific sugar can be to blame: - Lactose - Fructose (specifically high-fructose corn syrup) - etc... Track eating and drinking habits around your runs... there may be a common theme to your GI issues.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The thing that's especially ironic about my apparent lactose intolerance is the fact that I'm a WI girl. But I can still eat cheese, yogurt and other cultured dairy just fine. Ice cream hasn't given me issues, either. I think it's because I would drink like 12oz of milk--that's a lot of lactose to throw in my system at one time.

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Hmmm...normally after a run I head up for a caramel rice cake, peanut butter, and a banana. I do know that this was my longest run, but it was also the first one in a long time I added in Gatorade. (as usual look back and think why?) But even through last night and this morning, still having stomach issues. Mostly around runs. (no pun intended). Anyway...I am clueless. But its slowly getting better. Trying to think...I may have had a glass of milk afterwards also. I will try and change that. I'm still wondering if the GU and Gatorade together just did me in. Ugh! I don't have a long run this week, but the week after 18 again....I'm going to stick to water and GU only and avoid milk, see if that helps. CC

Charles Schulz

Go Pre!

"Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Smile
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Smile
                    Did I mention that sometimes eating too much romaine lettuce gives me the shits, too...damned plants. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Did I mention that sometimes eating too much romaine lettuce gives me the shits, too...damned plants. Tongue
                      I agree. Eating "healthy" is risky for running. Too much fiber.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree. Eating "healthy" is risky for running. Too much fiber.
                        Yeah, I ate probably 4 cups of romaine last night--I would not do that the night before a long run. Yesterday was my long run and today is a semi-rest day, so I knew I'd be safe. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

I am running Niagara on the lake marathon Sunday. No more veggies until then Big grin I mean Saturday. Saturday night will be a beer n food fest!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dave, that sounds like a nice race. Have you run it before?

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Dave, that sounds like a nice race. Have you run it before?
                              nope, new to me (like this year, I ran Ottawa marathon last year but wasn't ready to do another so soon) I am looking forward to this one. The website aint much but check this out... You Tube slideshow - good photos start about 1/3 way through
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, Dave...that looks like a beautiful race. Sounds like a recipe for a fantastic run! Big grin My very favorite race course (a HM) is a paved path that goes all the way around a lake that we used to live near...same community where did works and the didlet goes to school. The entire course is visible from the street, but the path is safe, so it's more-or-less a closed course (runners just need to watch at side-street intersections). Much of the course in the shade, views of the lake, small race. I am really bummed that it won't fit into my marathon training this year. I think it is only 2-3 weeks before the big race...a little too close for comfort.

~ Sarah Kay