Marathon Training and Discussions

Dead legs (Read 302 times)

Giants Fan

Please tell me this heaviness in my legs is going to go away by race day. (and my exhaustion I feel by end of the week) Oh man. I am fighting a cold...just trying to keep it from getting too bad, guess its better to get sick now then race week.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Happens to the best of us. The real fun part is when you get phantom aches and pains. They might continue right up until race morning but you'll be fine during the race. Just kick the cold and then if you can get in a quality low/mid volume workout 5 or 6 days before the race.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Happens to the best of us. The real fun part is when you get phantom aches and pains.
        Ha, I got that before my first 25k a couple of years ago. I thought for sure my legs were going to asplode! Big grin Colette, sick now...good. Much better than sick in a couple of weeks! Be kind to yourself...now is the time to take it easy(er). Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Please tell me this heaviness in my legs is going to go away by race day. (and my exhaustion I feel by end of the week) Oh man. I am fighting a cold...just trying to keep it from getting too bad, guess its better to get sick now then race week.
          heh heh...welcome to taper HELL. It's normal

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giants Fan

Well, as long as I know I'm normal for once..... Smile

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Giants Fan

Ok, when do the legs start to feel better??? Still feeling a little slower than normal...

Charles Schulz

Purdey

Self anointed title

Same here. Continually tired. No real bounce in my legs. Only planning a 1 week taper.... maybe that was a mistake!

Giants Fan

I hear ya...I'm second guessing everything I've done (which I'm pretty sure is normal considering I've never done this before and am so close) Hopefully the training will pay off but next week is the big taper week. Hope the legs come back then...is the intensity still supposed to be high the last week?

Charles Schulz

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think cut back on volume but keep some intensity in there... at least that's the idea!

Ok, when do the legs start to feel better??? Still feeling a little slower than normal...
                      When you hear the gun. Sometimes earlier, but not usually (at least not for me.)
                      I hear ya...I'm second guessing everything I've done (which I'm pretty sure is normal considering I've never done this before and am so close) Hopefully the training will pay off but next week is the big taper week. Hope the legs come back then...is the intensity still supposed to be high the last week?
                      Like Purdey said, similar intensity, lower volume. I like to do a short low volume speed workout at pace 5-6 days out from the marathon with full recovery between repeats. Burns a little excess energy, sharpens your legs up for running fast, and still gives you plenty of time to restore your spent glycogen.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)