Marathon Training and Discussions

Ottawa Marathon (Read 293 times)

Go Pre!

This is a duplicate post as seen in the racing Forum. Thanks to all of you for being here for me. I look forward to the next one! ------------------------------- It was a great weekend all around for us. 4 out of 5 Daddyo family members ran. My littlest (almost 7yr) Cameron did the 2k which was exactly 4 hours after the marathon so I would have had to finish around 3:45 to get to his race in time - unfortunately I missed it! He ran it in 10:20 which put him 26 in the 8 and under age group out of 309. What is also great about this is that my 14 yr old daughter ran the half marathon - then ran the 2k with Cam! The HM started an hour and a half after the marathon so she was able to get to his race in time. So she ran a sub 2hr HM (1:57) and proceeded to run a 10:20 2k right after! She truly rocks! Mrs Daddyo also ran the half and despite her ailing knee which hindered her training she still pulled in at 2:31! I know she will smash that time this fall as her knee is feeling better! She, also, rocks the house! And that leaves me with the Marathon report. I missed my 3:45:00 goal but despite what we all know as hitting the wall, still managed to finish upright and sort of smiling in under 4 hours (3:56:23) As the weather reported, it rained, but not until about half way. The start was great, I walked from the hotel to the race alone as the half marathon started at 8:30 and we started at 7:00. It was a nice warm up walk / light jog and got me there with about 10 minutes to spare. The over 3000 of us took off and headed UPHILL for the first 400 meters! fortunately this was promptly followed by a matching downhill. The course was nice and meandered through a lot of Ottawa's historic areas and buildings before heading for about 7K of running through Gatineau, Quebec's small town french streets. Lot's of french cheering and great support from this area and although my french is limited, "Bravo" and "Tres Bien" was good enough to encourage me. I found a pace partner at about 3K who was also gunning for 3:45. Unfortunately I lost him at a water station so I continued to run alone for the most part, talking briefly worth several people here and there. We headed back into Ottawa at 10k where I split at 54:00 - a 3:35 pace - right on pace! I hit the halfway mark at 1:53 - still on pace. This is where I started to tire a bit and figured that was normal and kept up the pace until about 30k. I was still thoroughly enjoying the race at this point but I had a stitch that would not go away and was not too painful but forced me to take shallower breaths unless I was willing to endure the pain of deeper breathing. It was bearable but I am sure it caused the late race slowdown. At about the notorious 32K/20 mile mark I feared 'the wall' but seemed to sneak past it with no probs. I was walking through the water stations to push the wall further away but by 35K it felt like running through mud. I had taken a gel at 32k but grabbed another anyway and that seemed to help. at 36K I felt the most incredible urge to spin to the right, like a car with a flat tire. I hated the course for a bit and all of it's beauty was lost on me, especially with the rain soaking my shirt and making my bib stick to my stomach and my right knee aching and my right foot hurting with each push off & bend of the toes and my left thigh hip area throbbing and the feeling each gel or cup of gatorade or water was going to come right back up but other than that I felt awesome! - thankfully the crowd support at the end was fantastic, as it was for most of the race. I knew if I could get to 38K the last 3k would be do-able on adrenaline alone. For the final 1oK I was doing crazy splits...a 5:30 k, a 6:15K, a 5:245K, a 6:30K and so on. Fortunately I was able to do the final 3K in about 16 minutes to keep it under four hours. The crowd was yelling at everyone in my general area to keep at it for a sub 4 marathon and that helped. We had merged with the Half marathoners by this point so it was really crowded. I was passing so many people who were struggling to finish and I honestly wanted to slow and encourage each one of them. 750K, 500K 200K I was thinking thank god, it's almost over and I have run a sub 4 Marathon. I did it. I was over the finish line! Unfortunately because of the other races still going I was alone . I didn't get the swell up of emotions as I walked through the rainy finishing area and crowded timing chip removal. But as I write this and rehash it 2 days later, I am feeling a little choked up. For my own accomplishment as well as the fantastic results from the rest of the family. It was too bad our 18 year hasn't continued to train and run with us. Hopefully he will join us again for future Daddyo family race weekends! And - Thanks to all of you RA runners for your support & encouragement! The Event was well run for such a large event although the finishing chute is very crowded and it is really hard to meet up with people afterwards. Food was average and race expo was the norm. I have seen better race kits but the Brooks technical T shirts were nice and are different for each race (5k, 10k, HM, M - including different versions for men and ladies, 8 different shirts in all - cool - the 2k got cotton t's) Results Time - 3:56:23.2 1469 / 3109 Overall 1139/1969 Overall Male 229/355 Men 35 - 39 Gun time Splits 10K - 54:48 21.1K - 1:53:55 30K - 2:44:14 My self coaching post race synopsis. What I will change for next time! - 1. I walked around way too much the day before. We walked from the hotel to to the race event area which was about 1K to watch other friends do the 10k race. This was after doing the usual race expo walk. Then we walked a while looking for a place to have dinner while we waited for the 10k-ers to run. After dinner we walked back and stood around waiting for them to finish then walked back to the hotel. Several trips back out to the car to get stuff and back and my feet and legs were tired! 2. I ate too much breakfast, which may have caused the stitch. My brekkie was; Half grapefruit 1 apple 1 PB and J sandwich 1 bowl of oatmeal 1 bowl of Vector cereal Water 3. I ran without water, relying on the water stations which were every 3Ks. Although I think I got enough water, I didn't get it at some points where I felt I needed it. I wanted to run without the weight of the belt but i may choose differently next time. unless the water stations are every 2k. - What I did well - 1. Other than running the HM a little too hard 2 weeks ago, I tapered well. last week I ate well and slept well. I trained pretty hard considering family/work and other time constraints. 2. I did well mentally I think. Whenever I felt crappy I was able to get through it, using techniques I have read here, or from Hal Higdon or similar books. Running a few punchlines through my head helped, as did reciting lines from The Office ("You have one day" and "Bears eat beets") 3. The shorts I bought that have the little pouches across the back were great for holding gum, chapstick and gels as well as my ipod shuffle in case I felt the need. 4. I didn't use the shuffle and enjoyed the ambiance and atmosphere of the race. Even the loud talkers which may or may not have made me speed up a bit much at one point to get away from them 5. My parents drove all the way just to be there for the weekend too, which was really nice, their support has been great for all of us! 6. I just plain did it. - sorry WE did it! Dave
      Awesome way to get through and get it done!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Also happy to hear of the other family events. It is a totally cool feeling to share running successes with family that understand what you are going through.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Go Pre!

Thanks Landy, by the way, your packinglist came in handy for us all!
          Nice one Daddyo, nice time and nice report, thanks for sharing with us. A real family affair. So how are your legs a week later? I´ve slowly got back into the running, after my marathon. I had quite a painful right foot for over a week but its easing off now. Managed my first longish run today (16km), went pretty well. Post marathon, i´ve decided to run most of my runs at a low heart rate (below 145) and the rest at either marathon pace or halfmarathon pace. See how that works out for me in my next marathon. in 12 weeks. Any plans on your next race? Paul

Go Pre!

Thanks Paul! A week later and I have put in 3 runs, 2k, 3k, and 5k. I am experiencing a bit of ITB pain but I have seen the physiotherapist and been given some good stretching and hip muscle strengthening exercises. My wife went through this earlier this year and was able to run through it and now her pain has subsided. I am about to head out for a 10k run today and build the mileage back up this week. My thighs felt good after about 3 days and I got a few swims in when the pain was too much to run. My plans for future races include several 8 & 10 k races this spring summer and the next marathon will be this fall. Either here in Toronto or another part of Canada. I devised a crazy scheme last night to run a marathon in each Canadian Province over the next 10 years! (There are 13) See here for the post on my blog for more details. Should be interesting to say the least. Dave
              Good to hear you´re on the mend. So you´ve been bitten by the marathon bug. Wow what a cool idea. A marathon in every state. There´s some interesting marathons on that list. I like the sound of the trail one and the midnight sun looks an adventure and an half (wow). I haven´t had time to look at them all yet but i will. Sounds a really cool idea, maybe i have to run a marathon in every country in the european union. My wife will be pleased, she likes to travel. Paul

Go Pre!

Travelling + running - can't beat that idea. My wife is good to go too, as long as the funds are there. So my run today didn't work out too well. The ITB affected knee felt better but what was a little twinge of pain on the inside of my other knee during yesterday's 5k, was too sore to run on today. It is sore to touch too if you find the right spot. Sad I am very VERY bummed out right now.

Go Pre!

I mean VERY No
                    Ouch sounds painful, sorry to hear that. I have very little experience with injuries, i would take 2 or 3 days rest from running (you´ve earnt it anyway). Maybe go for a cycle on the second or third day. Take it easy and try not to get bummed out

Go Pre!

I got in a 5k run this morning. No pain on the ITB knee, a bit of pain on the other knee. Maybe 30% on the pain-o-metre. I will alternate swimming and running this week. Unless it feels better / worse in which case I will adjust accordingly. Dave