Marathon Training and Discussions

Travel post marathon (Read 21 times)

BaileyRunner

I’m looking for suggestions regarding travel post marathon. Have any of you had to jump on a plane for a 10+ hour long haul the day after a marathon? If so, how was it? Miserable or ok? Thanks!

chuckstone

I will answer the best I can and tell you what I would do.  I have not traveled by plane after a marathon.  But I have made an 8+ hour drive the day after.  It can be mostly okay or miserable. Needing to travel the day after would not keep me from running a marathon that I wanted to do.

A lot depends on you - how are you the day after other marathons?  How well trained are you for this one?  How near your max possible effort will you give?

I think you can help yourself if you can do some walking after the marathon (even up to an hour), maybe foam roll your legs before going to bed.  Sleep wearing compression socks.

Walk some more the next day before boarding your flight.  Wear compression socks for at least part of the flight.  Get out of your seat during the flight every hour if possible.  Exercise and massage your legs during the flight, flex your ankles, pull your knees up toward your chest.

Manage your expectations.  Expect it to be at least as uncomfortable as finishing the marathon.  Maybe use the time to write a race report.  You will have earned some soreness, celebrate it if only internally.

Good luck!