Marathon Training and Discussions

marathon warmup (Read 300 times)

Go Pre!

I am finding lately that it takes me time to get up to pace... about 2-3 miles. What do you think about warmingup for a marathon? My thoughts used to be, save energy for the race, but now I am leaning towards maybe a 1 mile warmup at least. signed OverThinkingIt
      I am finding lately that it takes me time to get up to pace... about 2-3 miles. What do you think about warmingup for a marathon? My thoughts used to be, save energy for the race, but now I am leaning towards maybe a 1 mile warmup at least. signed OverThinkingIt
      The Flying Pig start line was about 1 mile from the hotel. It turned out to be pretty much an ideal warm-up distance.

I run a couple of miles before racing, although I'll admit the warmup doesn't get quite as intense as it does before other distances.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I run a couple of miles before racing, although I'll admit the warmup doesn't get quite as intense as it does before other distances.
          What would you gauge your pace was relative to your ability... my warm-up was barely fast enough to actually be running.

What would you gauge your pace was relative to your ability... my warm-up was barely fast enough to actually be running.
            Well, for my last marathon I can show you exactly: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5577780 Here's my pace during my warmup: Here's my speed, which is more relevant since stopping goes to 0 instead of infinity: That was in preparation for a 6:15 average pace during the marathon. So for the most part around 8:00-9:00 pace for my warmup. I did a lot of running a short distance, turning around, running a short distance, repeat. Hence the frequent stops. I wasn't sure when the race would start so I used the 100 meters or so in front of the starting line until I hit a blockade. I didn't have a few spurts around 5:30 to 6:00 pace in there too.

Run to Win

Imminent Catastrophe

Personally, just a few minutes of limbering up and some short strideouts at race pace are all that's needed. Then the first mile or so of the race will get you warmed up. I usually feel a little stiff for the first mile or two, but I don't lose any time. FWIW I watched the Olympic Marathon Trials in NYC last year and that's what they were doing before the start--easy jogs with short strideouts at what looked to me to be race pace. I certainly would not run a mile or more before a marathon. There's a theory that some runners follow called "cutbacks". That means that you deliberately start slower. So if you plan to run at 8-minute pace, you would run the first mile in 8:30, the second mile at 8:20, the third at 8:10, then the rest at about 7:57 to make up the minute. I've done this and feel like it really works, rather than running 8:00 pace from the start, which feels uncomfortable in the first mile or two, at least to me. Not that I've ever run a marathon at 8:00 pace, but you get the point.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Personally, just a few minutes of limbering up and some short strideouts at race pace are all that's needed. Then the first mile or so of the race will get you warmed up. I usually feel a little stiff for the first mile or two, but I don't lose any time.
                That's been my general philosophy for the majority of my marathons, and I ran well at them. I just don't feel like I can get the times that I want w/a warm up the first few miles. I do still aim for the negative splits, I just get a bit more of a warm up in. I've run a 50k before, and I try to get runs up to around 3 and a half to 4 hours (and race less than 3 hours in a marathon) so the extra mile or two doesn't seem like much. Before I run my first 50 miler I doubt that I will do much warming up.

Run to Win

Go Pre!

thanks folks.