Marathon Training and Discussions

Advice for men running 26.2 with their wives or sig others (Read 219 times)

madness baby

This advice is courtesy of my husband. It was given to him about 2 weeks before we ran our first marathon together. A guy at a party gave him this advice, which was really more of an instruction. I'm glad he took the advice. Here it is, plain and simple: After mile 16, to any question she asks you, or any comment, or statement, or ache or pain, or groan, simply respond: "honey, you're doing great." You will want to say something else. You will, but don't. Just say, "honey, you're doing great." Practice it a few times before mile 16. This works. Men, use it if you're running with significant others. We made it to the end, my husband did not get his head snapped off, I lived through my aches and pains, and I love him even more for following that dude's advice. Just a thought for those attempting to run 26.2 miles with someone they love (and wish to continue to love). Wink Deb
    deb
      Wasn't it great to run the marathon with your dh Deb! Dh and I ran our first marathon together in 2005. He was really good about keeping my spirit up until the last 3.2 miles. Much to my suprise dh needed the suport the last part. Instead of pushing on like he kept telling me I kept right by him and was able to help see him to the finish line. I told him then that the next time we ran a marathon he was on his own. Fortunatly for him the next one we're running as a training run for our second marathon. Great advice Deb!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Message Received and committed to memory... Wink Thanks for the advice ladies.. Big grin Big grin

madness baby

I did a 25-mile hike with my husband in Yellowstone backcountry last week. About 18 miles into it, we were in a heavily wooded area at the far corners of the park, it was really steep and I was tired of clapping (to protect my husband from the bears), and my husband had the nerve to say "honey, you're doing great." Keep in mind, this phrase only works if you do not tell your significant other about it. After that, don't use it again. It will likely annoy her and get you the stare of death. At that point he took over clapping for a little while. Wink
          deb