Marathon Training and Discussions

Giving blood before mary. (Read 201 times)

Future running partner.

I'm giving blood this Saturday, through my church. Confused I am little worried about 2 things. 1. I am running my first marathon on 11/2 (5 weeks). Although I am just running to finish, I want to feel good when I finish. Should I expect a slower time, or am I just going to feel like crap? 2. My longest run to date has been 18.5 miles. Sunday I am scheduled to run 3:40 which should be at least 20 miles. I then have one more long run on the Oct 12, of about 22 miles before my marathon. Can I afford to/should I skip Sundays long run? Or should I attempt to do it next weekend and then the 22 miler the weekend after that. I won't be able to do it during the week, because I don't have time. Unless I take a day off work. I don't really want to cancel my blood donation, cause its with my church and I'd feel bad.

A Saucy Wench

The marathon should be ok, the long run - not so much. I think it is a bad idea to attempt 20 the day after a blood donation.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Any way you can move your 20 miler to Saturday before you donate?
        xor

I'm giving blood this Saturday, through my church.
          Ah. Giving blood before Mary. Got it. I really like the idea of trying to get your 20ish in BEFORE you give. After may not go so well. 5 weeks is a fair amount of time and you should be better... but you'll have a bit of time where you are recovering. This will impact your training a wee bit and that may (not will... MAY) impact race day. Just take it easy.

Future running partner.

Well, I didn't have time to do a long run before giving blood. My appointment was pretty early. I did manage a semi long run on Friday then a 1hr run just before the appt. Today, I was going to see if maybe I could do about 11 miles, but even that was not happening Black eye . Not even a mile into my run, I could already tell this run was really going to suck. It was one of the longest 4 miles I've ever run. On Friday I am off so I think I will try to do my 20 miler then. That will give me about 9 days until the next and last 20+ run. I want to try to do 2hrs tomorrow , hopefully things will be getting back to normal. Thanks for the advice. You all are very right!