Marathon Training and Discussions

How to do marathons 8 weeks apart? (Read 364 times)

am I crazy for thinking of doing this? I'm not a newbie, per se, but I'm not not much a a veteran either. My second marathon is the RnR in June and I plan on running to try to BQ. I was thinking I'd really like to run San Fran in July...8 weeks later. I'm just not sure how to do that...a reverse taper to a peak then taper again? LOL Long runs between: 8mile recovery long run 12 15 18 20 12 8 San Fran I dunno. I wouldn't run it for a pr or anything, just for the fun of it. ideas?

Jennifer mm#1231

I am doing a similar plan...basically following Hal Higdon's multiple marathon plan. It has 5 dyas of running per week, but I prefer only 4, so I don't always get the 5th one in, or cut it short. http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/multiple/Multiplemara.htm Just listen to your body, and don't push yourself on any of the runs for the first month after the 1st M.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        cool, thanks! I'll have to check that out...I'm following his marathon training plan again...don't know why I didn't think to look for this one! thanks again. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

I did Myrtle Beach Marathon on February 17 and Martian Marathon on April 1st. I followed Pfitzingers Advanced Marathoning multiple marathon plans. 6 days a week running with a long run of 18 two weeks before the second marathon. My legs felt pretty good. I'm trying to do another marathon this weekend, two weeks after my last one, I'll let you know how that works out. Good Luck!
            WOW mIKE! that's impressive! good luck this weekend, I can't wait to see how you do. Smile I'm using Hal's Intermediate II this time around and doing the 5 day a week thing. sssssssssssshhhh, but I've added on a mile here or there. I think I'm ok. The 2 rest days seem to be what I need (or what I'm used to?) even though there are many Sundays or Thursdays when I would SO totally sneak off for a run if I could. Yes

Jennifer mm#1231

Reverse Taper is a good way to go. I do 6-7 marathons/year (with an average of 6 weeks between, with two weeks the shortest), and follow that method and it seems to work very well. The only tweak I might suggest to what you have outlined is to switch your 18 & 20 mile runs, and perhaps make the 18-miler a 15. Not critical, just a thought.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                wow, 6 to 7 a year!? Shocked so that's the kind of advice/insight I need, thank you! Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

welp. dh is a sweety...he surprised me with reservations for a weekend trip to San Francisco July 28-29...I'm running the San Francisco Marathon! OMGOSH! Shocked It's so scary registering for these race, not knowing what's going to happen in the interim time. I'm in the process of a background investigation to, hopefully, work for police dispatch. I might be in training ... I might not...I might have weekends off...I might not...I might be able to ask for that weekend off...I might not. Oh well. I'll just take it as it comes. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

welp. dh is a sweety...he surprised me with reservations for a weekend trip to San Francisco July 28-29...I'm running the San Francisco Marathon! OMGOSH! Shocked It's so scary registering for these race, not knowing what's going to happen in the interim time. I'm in the process of a background investigation to, hopefully, work for police dispatch. I might be in training ... I might not...I might have weekends off...I might not...I might be able to ask for that weekend off...I might not. Oh well. I'll just take it as it comes. Tongue
                    Fantastic! That's a beautiful course. Hope it all works out for you so you get the job and the marathon. Good luck!
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                      welp. dh is a sweety...he surprised me with reservations for a weekend trip to San Francisco July 28-29...I'm running the San Francisco Marathon! OMGOSH! Shocked
                      This was my first marathon, and it was awesome! Tons of support and crowds to help you through it. The year I did it we didn't run over the GG Brdige - maybe because of security reasons, but it was still a great tour of the City. I hope all your new job schedules work out so it will be a go!
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                      Jeffrey

Lifesabeach, Are you running the Full or the Half? I visited the runsfm website and saw they offer 1 Full and 2 HM routes. I've never seen an event with multiple HM routes. I see San Francisco and think < severe="" hills="" /> but I pulled up the elevation profile for the full and it looks like the hills are there - but not anything extreme. Is that your interpretation too?
                          thanks for all of the encouragement! yep, I'm running the full! I also checked out the elevation chart and it didn't look nearly as ominous as I would have imagined. I'm guessing the multiple courses is a form of crowd control. What I'm wondering is if their *wave* starts still have timing corrals or if it's instead of timing corrals? Confused

Jennifer mm#1231

Jeffrey

I need hills during a run/race otherwise I get prematurely fatigued + bored. I think the Full race course has a nice elevation profile. Go for it! Smile
                              I ended up running the 2nd half last year as a training run for my Sept. marathon. I was in the Bay Area and goining though the city anyway that day, so i signed up at the last minute, and all they had available that late was the 2nd half. The 2nd half is not nearly as scenic as the 1st, BUT, you do get to finish at the start line, with all the full Marathon runners and all that excitement. The frist half runners have to be bussed back to the start. I had my husband drop me off near the start of the 2nd half, whcih was a little tricky because of the closed streets for the full. I was actually a little late to the start line. The hills are few and far between, and not much to worry about. Hope the weather is cool for you!