Marathon Training and Discussions

a little taper advice? (Read 257 times)

vegefrog

I'm less then 4 weeks away from my marathon. This will be my second, but the first one that I've REALLY trained for. I am aiming for sub 4.

I feel great right now, the easy miles are easy and the tempo miles aren't terribly hard. No real injuries to speak of, just a few tight muscles which I am managing with yoga and foam rolling.

Can any of you experienced marathoners take a look at my Kiawah Marathon training plan and see if the next 4 weeks of training looks reasonable to you? More specifically the last 2 weeks of tapering.

I haven't included much speed work, hopefully I will incorporate that into my plan for the New Orleans Marathon which I'm doing at the end of Feb.

Thanks in advance Smile

VA

All business

I think your schedule looks pretty good.  The first thing that strikes me is that I would skip the intervals the last two weeks. I would make them 'easy' runs. At this point, I feel like I've done the work that can be done, and those last two weeks are for moving the legs and trying not to get injured.

I (and many others) like getting my last 20 miler to be three weeks out.  I try to make that a high mileage week (ending with a 20 miler). I know it may sound like it's too early, but I start the taper after that. So for the next week, I aim to get a 12-14 miles in, with maybe a weekly total of 35-45.

The weekend before the race, I like your plan (minus the intervals), and keep that 10 miler feeling real easy. 

The 6 days before the race should be real light, I might cut out the 5 miler depending on how you're feeling and how hard your cross-training sessions are.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

vegefrog

Thanks for responding Smile

The reason I have those interval sessions in the taper is because of all the talk in the main forums and a few articles I've read recently about decreasing volume, but keeping intensity during a taper?

As far as cross-training all I really do is yoga and a 30 minute core class. I should be able to keep that last week fairly light.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

The reason I have those interval sessions in the taper is because of all the talk in the main forums and a few articles I've read recently about decreasing volume, but keeping intensity during a taper?

This is a sound training concept, good luck!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
          My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
          Ride 112 miles.
          Run 26.2 miles.
          Then brag for the rest of your life.
          -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

BeeRunB

Thanks for responding Smile

As far as cross-training all I really do is yoga and a 30 minute core class. I should be able to keep that last week fairly light.

Your marathon will be nearly 100% aerobic, the addition of intervals in the 2 weeks prior aren't going to do much for you. In fact, there's nothing much you can do the two weeks prior to increase your fitness or speed, except rest and recovery. My two experiments with intervals during the taper left my legs tired  come race time. The best taper for me is aerobic, and I usually end up taking more days off than I planned. The better rested you are, the better you will do on race day. A 2-miler the day before the race, very easy, I find is good for the mental aspect.

--JImmy Cool

vegefrog

The 2 miler the day before the marathon seems to be a big hit Smile It was suggested to me by a few other people as well, so I added that to my final weeks plan.

3 weeks now! Getting nervous/excited!!!

Mysecondnewname

Instead of the intevals, I would at least do a few miles (i.e. 2 to 3)  at MP a few days before the race.  It's bascially just to shake the cobwebs out and remind yourself on how to run fast.   You would have to remain flexible based on your health condition during race week (i.e., if you're not 100%, skip the faster running and rest).

I actually do better by taking off the day before the marathon and not wearing my legs out during the expo, but YMMV.

Good luck to you, and please let us know how it goes!

vegefrog

Thanks Shuffle Faster.

My intervals are actually @ marathon pace Smile All my tempo runs have included a certain amount of miles @ MP. I haven't really done any other speedwork this training cycle.

Planning to add REAL intervals for my next marathon though!!!

Taper has begun! Feeling good...not sure I was as taxed as I could have been. Which is great, just means next time I can probably up my mileage and push a little further.

Feeling GOOD about my chances of a sub 4!!!!!!