Marathon Training and Discussions

Marathon thunderstorms - arrrrghh (Read 305 times)

Go Pre!

They're calling for rain & Scattered t-storms this weekend Angry I was hoping to run my first marathon on a perfect sunny day! Thankfully the weather people are usually wrong and let's hope this is one of those times.
      I ran the Athens Marathon last April. It was a downpour during the first 3-4 miles and off-on the rest of the way. Some precautions - protect your iPod if you use one. Mine was wasted by the water. Also, try to wear a really thin shirt that won't sop up much water. My sleeveless, Asics running shirt fet like it weighed about 90 pounds. But the rain was fun too, especially jumping puddles with a couple hundred other crazies. Good luck.
      The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
        I know how you feel. Just don't let yourself be discouraged or frightened by the weather. Just enjoy the journey, for whatever it happens to be that day, especially if it's your first. Don't push too hard. I can't stress this enough. The difference between 20 and 25 can be very....um....disconcerting. But you can do it. Just watch your fuel (carbs) and sodium intake (make sure you get enough for the amount of water you drink). Let us know how it goes!
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          oh man! Hopefully it will hold back until you're done. Either which way, you're tough...if you can go 26.2 what's a bit of rain! YOu're gonna do great! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Go Pre!

Ottawa Marathon Weather update.... The little lightning bolt has disappeared! But the rain looks imminent.... P.S. I felt like I weighed 300lbs during last nights last 4k easy run....ugh
            Jeffrey

Rain is great during a run! Thunder, lilghtning, not that great. Rain fine. Convince yourself it will make you slicker and faster. heh.
              The little lightning bolt has disappeared! But the rain looks imminent....
              Oh man. I felt so CHUBBED UP when I tapered before a recent HM race. Never fear, come race day you will feel super strong.
              P.S. I felt like I weighed 300lbs during last nights last 4k easy run....ugh
                So Daddyo.....howed it go????????????????????????????? Shocked
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                  oh Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave!? we are on the edge of our seats!!! How'd it go? Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

Hellooooooooooo?

Go Pre!

Ahhhhhh...sorry, we stayed in Ottawa for Monday too and did not have my laptop with me. I am alive, and well, and will post a full report very soon Smile for now, so you know, I finished at 3:56!
                        Well done, nice time. Now you are officially a marathon runner. Congrats. Looking forward to the race report. Paul