Marathon Training and Discussions

How do they run marathons frequently (Read 1078 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How do the marathon junkies train -- to run multiple marathons in a month? I suppose they don't take a week recovery and then taper a week, when there are only 2 weeks between marathons (or 1 week)?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Taper schmaper. Run a lot of miles (although some of the multiple marathoners don't run at all during the week... doesn't work for me AT ALL). Eat a lot. Sleep a lot. Flirt with women. Unless you are named Engle or Wardian, don't target each weekend as a go-like-hell race. Incidentally, one a week or one every two weeks is easier for me than one every four weeks. Go figure. One a day for a few days in a row is kind of fun.

Oh Mighty Wing

man I hope to be lumped into this category one day!!!!Big grin
        DoppleBock

I agree With Stevie Ray All out ever weekend would crush me. 80% effort every weekend would be failry easy. I remember the 1st time I did a 20 miler - Wow I was wiped out, now a 20 miler at a slow pace is fairly easy.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

Incidentally, one a week or one every two weeks is easier for me than one every four weeks. Go figure.
            This is because: a) You don't feel the pain after a certain point. Kinda like running high mileage weeks. b) You are a boob.
            now a 20 miler at a slow pace is fairly easy.
            See b) above. Wink

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Do you take a recovery day, the day after a marathon? Well, doh, clearly if you're doing one a day you don't, but I mean, if you run a marathon on Saturday and have no race on Sunday, or run a marathon on Sunday, do you take the next day entirely off, or run short, or what? You boobs are making it sound fun, you're gonna get me in more trouble with the whole dumb running hobby thing....

xor

I usually run 4-8 miles the next day. Very very easy. If I'm running what we call a double (two in two days), I will take the day off after the second race usually.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Alright, maybe I'll run today (very easy) - not the next day, but the next next day. Since I already wish I had another marathon lined up. You maniacs are corrupting me.

xor

For the record, though, never listen to our boobs.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

and by the way, which marathon are you doing next weekend?

xor

and by the way, which marathon are you doing next weekend?
                        A local 50k called "Dizzy Daze" because it is 10 laps around a tiny little lake (a lake I run around several times a week anyway). Unless I opt for the 100k. But in addition to not being up for 62 miles... I'm certainly not up for 20 laps around that lake. (my schedule can be found at http://moostronaut.blogspot.com)

A local 50k called "Dizzy Daze" because it is 10 laps around a tiny little lake (a lake I run around several times a week anyway). Unless I opt for the 100k. But in addition to not being up for 62 miles... I'm certainly not up for 20 laps around that lake. (my schedule can be found at http://moostronaut.blogspot.com)
                          I can hardly stand 2 laps around Green Lake let alone 10 or 20! How's the turnout for that race? Good luck!

~Sara
                          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

I can hardly stand 2 laps around Green Lake let alone 10 or 20! How's the turnout for that race? Good luck!
                            Heh. I hear you. The nice thing is that support and drop bags are easy to deal with Smile. It'll probably be 30-50 people... 10 or so will do the 100k. Cmon out on Saturday. We'll be the people with the blank expressions on the outside loop.

Heh. I hear you. The nice thing is that support and drop bags are easy to deal with Smile. It'll probably be 30-50 people... 10 or so will do the 100k. Cmon out on Saturday. We'll be the people with the blank expressions on the outside loop.
                              How'd it go? I was out of town otherwise I would have checked it out.

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Imminent Catastrophe

Incidentally, one a week or one every two weeks is easier for me than one every four weeks. Go figure.
                                Yep. I'm lazy. Getting into shape is hard. Staying in shape, much easier.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016