Marathon Training and Discussions

Back To Running After A Year's Lay Off (Read 673 times)

johnnystella

johnnystella

Hi All,

i'm getting back into my running routine after a year of almost non-existent running.  Actually, I would put in 10-20 miles a week in, but I used to do 40-50.  So naturally I'm a bit overweight and my running clothes are tight, but I feel invigorated to get going.  i'm running a half marathon next Sunday, but after that I'm just going to take the next three months and get some consistent miles in.  I'm not going to work on speed or technique.  My goal marathon will be the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis first week of December.  Glad to be back.

Pat

Johnnystella Anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. -Steven Wright

Queen of 3rd Place

Just run. Sounds like a good plan.

Ex runner

Run every day.  Well, I guess you can take a day off every week.  Seriously, though, lots of EZ miles will help make the weight fall off.  I started running last year after a long layoff post-ACL surgery.  Logging 10-20 helped get a bit of weight off, but once I got the TM in December and started running ~6 days/week I've been dropping about a pound a week.  Follow just about any marathon training plan with 1-2 hard workouts/week to avoid the LSD trap.

Hawt and sexy

zOMG! The LSD trap!  Yeah, um, for the first year or so you don't need to worry about speed.  Just run and build base.  If you want to do faster stuff, race a 5k-10k every now and then or do some striders after a run.  Speed will come in time. 

I'm touching your pants.

Hi All,

I'm not going to work on speed or technique.  Pat

Technique is probably more important than anything IMHO.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Queen of 3rd Place

Like the speed and efficiency, technique (ok, at least partially) comes with miles and miles and patience.

Ex runner

Like the speed and efficiency, technique (ok, at least partially) comes with miles and miles and patience.

I think it's a fallacy to assume running tencique will improve with miles alone. Efficiency will but not technique. Poor technique led me to injurySad

THis is why high school coaches spend so much time working on technique.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?