Marathon Training and Discussions

Forget 'Taper Madness' ... let's talk about 'Pre-Taper Rage™'! (Read 683 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy moly...I am crabby...don't look at me wrong or I will go off on ya'. I've slept through my alarm the last 2 mornings...at first I thought my PDA must be broken, but I set a test alarm and it worked fine. I haven't been this tired since DS was an infant. Taper...? I cannot wait for it! I am counting down the days! This coming Mon. is my last 20 miler...YES! My family and anyone else I encounter out in the world should be thanking their lucky stars, 'cause if it were any further away they'd risk death by getting on my bad side. Dead And cross-training...bah. I had planned to get in an hour or so on my bike today...SO not gonna happen. I don't even want to leave the house....and my pillow is singing a siren's song. Tell me I'm not alone at 14.5 weeks into this... Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Tell you what, I've thrown cross training out the window! (along with most of my weight training). Too tired to focus on anything BUT running. Seriously, some time off from the rest will not hurt you, might even help you giving your body a little time off. I was in the same boat as you last week looking ahead to my last 22. I think a lot of it is mental...you know how long, how hard the run is going to be, its your mind trying to freak you out. DON'T FALL FOR IT. You are strong or you wouldn't have come this far!! You can do that one last run! Let me tell you, knowing I have easy ahead til race day has done wonders for my psyche. Its your last test before race day...you can do it, don't give up now. I made it through, you will too!! Then we can taper together! Big grin

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Dave

Zoomie, every Saturday night for the last 3 weeks, I've been in a bad mood. Long run Sunday morning. Coincidence? Nope. You are most certainly not alone. Every morning when I wake up, I have what can only be described as "old man legs". Every step hurts as I walk into the bathroom to shave. The steps down to the kitchen are torture. By the time I'm done with the mile or so walk that my commute involves, my legs feel pretty good. I feel like running by lunchtime and every night the process starts over again. Feelin your pain.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The crazy thing is that finally nothing hurts...not even my right knee (thank you, Superfeet!). But I am beat...I feel like I've been drugged with sleeping pills in the past week. My motivation to do ANYTHING is completely in the toilet. I'm not even all that nervous about my last 20 miler, because my first one went pretty well (especially after months of nothing going well thanks to the knee)...I'm just not even caring at this point. Hell, if someone told me tomorrow that the marathon had been cancelled I think I would shrug my shoulders and say "meh...whatever." Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I'm the opposite right now. I lost some good training in August to flu and other problems and I want 2 more weeks. 2 more weeks.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giants Fan

Kirsten, Its called life. Life gets in the way of training. Of course you are tired. You are adding extra training (really hard runs) to everyday energy expenditure. I know its hard just being a Mom and working and keeping up with the house, then you throw in running too? I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off 99.9% of the time. BUT, remember why you started this journey. For me, it was to see if I really was tough enough to endure....Am I exhausted? Yes, last week was the worst, couldn't even keep my eyes open for work...but next week will be better! HANG IN THERE!!!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have my fingers crossed that you're right. Of course, now I am also paranoid about getting sick. Doesn't help that it's allergy season and everyone in my house is sniffling, sneezing, and coughing... Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Ok, deep breath in...hold for 5, breathe out...repeat 5 times then drink one large margarita (or just go straight for tequila shot!)

Charles Schulz

Dave

Go for the Tequila. Not a cold germ in the world can fight through that. Big grin I'm not sure I believe you about the cancellation of the marathon though, Kirsten. Last time I ran a marathon on 3 days notice on a 20 mile per week base and no runs longer than 14 miles. I ran with a friend who needed company and I walked a bit and finished OK. This time, I'm actually doing the training. And its different. I'm in WAY better shape and I pretty much know how my body will react at the longer distances. But I'm sort of beat up by the mileage. I was a 20 mile a week guy and now I'm going to push 60 next week. I think I might eventually get used to it but right now its a big deal for me. I wish I could say I was like Ennay and I was hoping for extra weeks but the truth is I'm counting them down. And I'm already signed up for the next one. Evil grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, deep breath in...hold for 5, breathe out...repeat 5 times then drink one large margarita (or just go straight for tequila shot!)
                      Hmmm...I think our tequila is gone, but we do have beer...good carbs! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Future running partner.

I look at tiredness as a good sign, that you are training yourself well, but you will definately need a break soon. My DW definately knows when I am training hard (Poor wife) Roll eyes. Your body will adapt though, as long as you don't push yourself too much harder. By race day you'll feel super human and surprise yourself w/ how well you'll run. Big grin I've found a good tool to help determine overtraining is to take your resting pulse every morning right as you wake up but before getting out of bed. I use rest/easy weeks as a base line for what true resting heart rate is. Then I notice that on hard weeks my resting HR can be as much as 6 or 7 beats higher. It also fluctuates on a daily basis, high the day after a hard workout lower the day after an easy one. When my rHR is up about 10% or more from base line, I run slower. If its more than 15% higher, I take a day off.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I look at tiredness as a good sign, that you are training yourself well, but you will definately need a break soon. My DW definately knows when I am training hard (Poor wife) Roll eyes. Your body will adapt though, as long as you don't push yourself too much harder. By race day you'll feel super human and surprise yourself w/ how well you'll run. Big grin I've found a good tool to help determine overtraining is to take your resting pulse every morning right as you wake up but before getting out of bed. I use rest/easy weeks as a base line for what true resting heart rate is. Then I notice that on hard weeks my resting HR can be as much as 6 or 7 beats higher. It also fluctuates on a daily basis, high the day after a hard workout lower the day after an easy one. When my rHR is up about 10% or more from base line, I run slower. If its more than 15% higher, I take a day off.
                          Ooh, the pulse thing sounds really useful. I have even heard of people sleeping with the chest strap of their Garmin on so that all they have to do is turn the unit on and have it read...I may have to try that, since I can never find my pulse the old fashioned way, heh. Blush I hope I do feel extra strong come race day. I have had a few major races when I've experienced that sensation and it's a great feeling. During a HM a year ago I felt that and it was fantastic. I had a 10+ minute PR that day. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

I'm huge believer in a good taper. It really will pay off. I think the trick is running just enough so that your legs don't feel sluggish but not too much. I did some striders today and it seemed to shake a lot of the sluggishness right out of them after my day off. Not too long (about 150 meters) but almost at top speed and then recovering down to an easy jog between. Maybe a few of those in the last week would help.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Giants Fan

Ok..me lurking...I like the heart rate idea as well. Never thought of that...and the striders, might be the thing to cure my dead legs.

Charles Schulz

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm on the other side of the pre-taper -- that is, I'm just under two weeks out, and figure I should taper, but don't really want to. Maybe it's partly the knowledge that I should taper, so knowing there is no pressure on me to get miles in, but now I find it fun to run and don't want to voluntarily skip opportunities. Of course, there is also the fact that I'm staying at a hotel on oceanfront and am running along the ocean, which is visually & tactilely lovely (the near-constant breeze coming off the water is neat). I also am finding it fun to go a bit faster than my usual easy pace -- I think that might be due to a bit of excitement and maybe anxiety about the upcoming marathon coming out.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.